Reuters: Situation in Europe is serious

Discussion in 'Economics' started by bearice, May 9, 2010.

1. It most certainly is, but that was blindingly, painfully obvious well before the bailout. It's like looking at a dismembered corpse and saying that this person's condition is serious. Although, I do hope the Eurozone stages a recovery.

#31     May 11, 2010
  2. morganist

morganist Guest

i don't know. i know a lot of economists and they are very specific about discussing topics because they often do not have a good all round knowledge. you would be surprised.

#32     May 11, 2010
  3. morganist

morganist Guest

the thing that worries me is the reduction in demand the austerity package will create. if the fiscal policy is tightened the demand will reduce and the output will deminish. how will they make the payments if the income is less?

this is one concern there are others.

#33     May 11, 2010
  4. I think what needs to be realized is that the bailout itself is only making things worse. No recovery can take place if the problems are never faced.

#34     May 11, 2010
  5. Morgan, I've heard enough "worst case scenarios" to last a lifetime. I know social unrest is possible, as is the collapse of all fiat currencies.
    What's the most PROBABLE outcome of our current situation?

#35     May 11, 2010
  6. morganist

morganist Guest

I never said anything about social unrest. The situation cannot be resolved by lending more money. How can they repay it?

Where will the money come from if they have less money to demand output. It is not a worst case scenario it is a genuine observation.

Lower fiscal expenditure = lower demand = lower output = lower employment = lower gdp = smaller payments.

#36     May 11, 2010
  7. I am willing to give the Greeks and the Eurozone as a whole the benefit of doubt... I think they deserve a fair chance to try to make all the measures work.

#37     May 11, 2010
  8. morganist

morganist Guest

Ok answer my question. How can they repay the money if their GDP declines when they introduce the spending reductions?

#38     May 11, 2010
  9. The IMF is taking this into account in their proposed timeline for Greek austerity measures. Obviously, reality can always shock the forecasters, but, if I remember correctly, the IMF's numbers are on the pessimistic side. Given that they're the experts at this (or as close to that as we're likely to get), I am not sure we have reason to doubt them, here and now.
    Do you want the details? I can dig up the IMF blurbage on the Greek aid mechanism, if you like.

#39     May 11, 2010
  10. morganist

morganist Guest

Yes please. Then I can tell you what is wrong with it.

Also do you have faith in the IMF?

#40     May 11, 2010