Reuters: Germany to ban shortselling, tonight

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Debaser82, May 18, 2010.

1. LeeD

LeeD

Accurate information doesn't sell newspapers. Over-hyping non-events does.

#11     May 18, 2010
  2. I still have my doubts about the morality of short selling. You can only practice short selling in the finance economy.

Try doing it with cars, appliances and other assets.............see what happens.

#12     May 18, 2010
  3. LeeD

LeeD

Not true. Think commodity futures!

Short-selling exists where there is sufficient suply of units that can be treated as of identical quality/usability over prolonged period of time. This applies to equity stocks.. but it also applies to iron ore and pig bellies. It doesn't applie to home appliances or cars because manufacturers can't be arsed to keep making the same less than popular model for decades to come.

#13     May 18, 2010
  4. my thoughts are that shorting should be kept to derivative, if you want to bet on something going down have at it, but you should not be able to directly effect prices by selling something you don't own

#14     May 18, 2010
  5. morganist

morganist Guest

I think they should they should get rid of all derivatives apart from forwards and futures.

#15     May 18, 2010
  6. Including options, ETFs, mutual funds?

#16     May 18, 2010
  7. Including interest rate swaps?

#17     May 18, 2010
  8. morganist

morganist Guest

why would you keep them? (seriously justify, i will take it on board).

#18     May 18, 2010
  9. morganist

morganist Guest

Definately options, ETF's, mutual funds. Derivatives were used to eliminate risk. Forwards and futures do this. Forwards the direct relationship with other companies and futures liquidate the market. Option are not necessary, due to the right but not obligation they actually create more problems than they create.

short selling isn't actually a derivative, unless it is levered.

#19     May 18, 2010
  10. people are short selling houses all the time.

#20     May 18, 2010