Reuters Feature On Timothy Sykes

Discussion in 'Events' started by TimothySykes, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...Z_01_N31318390_RTRIDST_0_HEDGEFUNDS-SYKES.XML

Overall a decent article, although she got the 70 percent/year figure wrong (my fund was up 70% over the first 3 years)

By Svea Herbst-Bayliss

BOSTON, Nov 1 (Reuters) - Hedge fund manager Tim Sykes made and lost a small fortune fast. Now he plans to earn it all back and let average Americans follow him on the road to riches, one trade at a time.

Sykes' Cilantro Fund Partners hedge fund collapsed amid heavy losses in October, a year after the 26-year-old trader was named as one of the $2 trillion hedge fund industry's most promising young stars by Trader Monthly magazine.

Now he is reinventing himself and shedding the $2 trillion hedge fund industry's veil of secrecy in favor of being a trader for anyone with an Internet connection.

"Starting on November 1, I am going to repeat my feat of turning $12,000 into $1.65 million," Sykes told Reuters. "And this time I will do it on my Web site and be completely transparent. I will use a regular discount broker so that everyone can follow along."

Each evening, Sykes, who sometimes placed bets at home dressed in a blue bathrobe, plans to describe his every move, providing a trading primer for other aspiring millionaires.

During its heyday Sykes' Cilantro fund returned 70 percent per year, which helped turn a $700,000 investment into a $3 million portfolio. He had already turned his $12,000 Bar Mitzvah money into $1.65 million as a teenager.

"He amassed a reputation and a lot of money at a young age," said Adam Sussman, a senior analyst at the TABB group that conducts financial markets research. Continued...

© Reuters 2007. All Rights Reserved.

2. You are the most eager self promoter I've ever seen.

good for you.

3. Thanx!

4. Self-Promotor would be an understatement. I got your book for christmas and made my sister-in-law return it and get her money back.

You're a hack.

5. PaulRon

PaulRon

What this tells me is that you lost all your money and had someone lend you 12K to get back on your feet

6. timmay makes that on a bad week with his businesses.

get real,

HLJ

7. Nice work Tim. Looking forward to November!

8. jtnet

jtnet

"We're sorry... this story is not currently available"

EPIC FAIL

9. bathrobe

bathrobe

Without staggering losses you would still be managing your fund/retail account so please do not act like you made a decision to switch careers, the decision was made for you.

10. you are not allowed to put messages here unless you are a sponsor "Do not start a new thread in this forum unless you represent one of our sponsors. "

Are you THAT desperate for money? You can no longer afford ET sponsorship? You really are pathetic.

#10     Jun 19, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.