Retiring Dem: People Have Gotten Dumber

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Jun 21, 2012.

1. pspr

pspr

He's got a point. The people did elect Obama.

"Congressman Ackerman, you’ve been here 30 years. Can you define comity as it existed when you arrived versus how it exists now?," Bloomberg Businessweek asks.

Ackerman responds: " Your premise is that comity exists now. It may not be entirely accurate. It used to be you had real friends on the other side of the aisle. It’s not like that anymore. Society has changed. The public is to blame as well. I think the people have gotten dumber. I don’t know that I would’ve said that out loud pre-my announcement that I was going to be leaving. [Laughter] But I think that’s true. I mean everything has changed. The media has changed. We now give broadcast licenses to philosophies instead of people. People get confused and think there is no difference between news and entertainment. People who project themselves as journalists on television don’t know the first thing about journalism. They are just there stirring up a hockey game."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/retiring-dem-people-have-gotten-dumber_647697.html

2. jem

jem

interesting

3. hughb

hughb

RE: News becoming entertainment, the Yahoo Finance page used to have mostly journalistic reports from Reuters and AP. Now it's mostly commentary from various organizations, although it is presented as news. Yahoo Finance used to be my favorite news site, lately I've been thinking about dropping it from my bookmarks.

4. He must be talking about the democrat leadership.

5. Typical piece of shit politician. It's easy to screw the people you're supposed to represent when you think you're smarter than everyone else. People have not gotten dumber. In fact we're much smarter. We now realize that there is little difference between the two parties. I wish for him what I do all our "leaders". A long, slow, and painful death.

6. Specterx

Specterx

People haven't gotten dumber. It's just that back in the day, they used to accept the wisdom of their betters (politicians, academics, intellectuals et al) without question. Journalists on the big three networks used to lecture the people like children, and the people meekly obeyed - this is what no longer exists.

Now that the illuminati have completely screwed everything up, people don't want to listen to them anymore - but your average voter doesn't have anything close to the brains, education, specialized knowledge, perspective, wisdom etc. to be able to understand and make real decisions about the country's future. Doesn't help that being a politician these days is more like being a reality TV star than anything else. Only shameless narcissists, attention whores and freaks of nature who've never done or said anything remotely controversial in their entire lives would bother running for office.

7. jem

jem

very interesting analysis

8. Pretty darn close to the mark.