Retailers will close 12,000 stores in 2009

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ByLoSellHi, Dec 29, 2008.

1. S2007S

S2007S

and it doesnt end there.....

Find a buyer, who the hell would buy this company......

Other companies that I believe will be shutting stores:

BLOCKBUSTER

RADIOSHACK

PIER ONE IMPORTS

BUILD A BEAR

#11     Jan 16, 2009
  2. gaj

gaj

don't know how the accounting and valuation is on build a bear, but tons of people get gift cards, birthday parties, etc. there. that would be surprising to me.

#12     Jan 16, 2009
  3. Obviously Im not an old timer like you.

Newsflash from 10 years ago. Video games are catered to adults more than kids nowdays.

Here is some advice, get a Wii. You can get some light exercise without worrying about your hip bone breaking. Might even have some fun while you're at it.

#13     Jan 16, 2009
  4. Consumers are de leveraging just like banks so guess what. No more consumers buying 80 dollar shoes made in china for 1 dollar or overpriced womens clothing made in india,vietnam for 100 bucks but the cost basis 30 cents per item.

#14     Jan 16, 2009
  5. I'll leave the Wii to you and your hip bones. I work out at the gym for a little over 6 hours a week and don't pretend to get my workouts from video games. I'll leave those fanciful notions to you. Apart from some minimal eye-hand coordination benefits, video games strike me as being little more than mental chewing gum.

#15     Jan 16, 2009
  6. S2007S

S2007S

Exactly right, do you think consumers will ever realize this?

#16     Jan 16, 2009
  7. I think they are starting to get the message, eventually the correction always comes and nothing the government will do to try and artificially prop up this economy will work anymore. It is done for.

The USA will need to rethink it's strategy of a purely consumption based (export wages/debt, import goods and services/H1B foreign cheap white collar employees + pocket outrageous spreads) philosophy.

#17     Jan 16, 2009
  8. talknet

talknet

"493 million jobs lost worldwide" seems to be reality

http://elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150126

#18     Jan 16, 2009
  9. Actually, I do have a Wii, it's a blast. Got it as a present from my girlfriend. You should try, maybe you get a chance to smile and experience that strange feeling called "FUN". Plus, it might help you get that stick out of your ass and loosen up.

As for your "non-pretend" workout, something tells me you're one of those guys spending an hour walking on the treadmill to feel like you had a work out. Then does a light weights routine with a notebook to write down everything, as if to confirm, while all serious as shit. As someone who actually trains for grappling competitions, guys like you are funny to me.

#19     Jan 16, 2009
  10. Just to be clear. I'm 50 and have worked out for most of my adult life. I work with weights to failure and then conclude with intense cardio on a treadmill at maximum incline, and a 10- to 12-minute non-stop ab routine. I have never used a notebook; I go to my limit. I'll leave the grappling to you and the boys.

#20     Jan 16, 2009