Retail Trader vs Market Maker and the Winner..?

Discussion in 'Options' started by SmithTheTrader, Jan 6, 2009.

1. You mean those 0.50% money market rates? Yeah if you cannot clear that hurdle....

:)

#21     Jan 7, 2009
  2. Options market makers do not have much of an advantage compared to the 80's and 90's mostly due to the spreads, although they are getting a little wider now.
    Most options market makers sell volatility, which recently has been awful. Most of these plays are hedged with the stock, but some are outright plays. The recent bloodshed has hurt quite a few MM's so some are just standing back and letting stocks just fall.
    There is no way a retail trader can trade this way unless you have super low commission rates and a big bat to swing with.
    So if you want to beat the MM at their game then no you probably can't.

#22     Jan 7, 2009
  3. spindr0

spindr0

QUOTE]You mean those 0.50% money market rates? Yeah if you cannot clear that hurdle....[/QUOTE]Did you miss the "and then some" part? :)

You can get 3-1/2 to 4 pct in some MM's now if you can tolerate lower ranked banks. But I get your point.

#23     Jan 7, 2009

4. As long as you are the "fly on an elephant's ass". They don't notice you and you just go along for the ride. Head to head we don't stand a chance.

#24     Jan 8, 2009
  5. I really like this.

#25     Jan 8, 2009
  6. Me too. It represents the right attitude for making money as a trader.

Mark

#26     Jan 8, 2009
  7. Fuckin A!

Gets old on ET reading questions about beating this or trading better than so and so. We would all be better traders if we just focused making money.

And for Spindro that would mean at a minimum=

risk-free rate +inflation + annual dues at local stripper club

#27     Jan 8, 2009
  8. If you want to "beat" a MM date his mistress and kick his son's ass for not studying hard enough in that private school using your slippage $$ as tuition.

You don't have to beat anyone except yourself. Their game enables you to get fills. Who will fill your order ? The other greasy trader sipping on a big gulp ?

We're all working within the same laws of probability. Some are working much smarter and harder then others.

I would go out on a limb and say work your odds and execution and make certain you have a good broker you can work with...

Cannot believe i responded to this thread but i saw a couple plungers i know so figured i'd have a go at sounding smart too.

Cheers

#28     Jan 8, 2009
  9. spindr0

spindr0

Dayam! Busted again for being a dumb ass monkey in Vegas.
    Oh wait. That's someone else.

#29     Jan 8, 2009
  10. "skill edge, just make some fu&*in money".

I still love that quote, coach you crack me up.:D

#30     Jan 8, 2009