Retail options trading as a business/any advice for beginners?

Discussion in 'Options' started by RandomZen, May 21, 2009.

1. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Well I've never actually been able to pull a consistent profit trading options, so I don't have anything specific to say about what works or doesnt work. (Well I know what doesnt work, what I have done!)

However, you are on the right path by realizing right away that it is a business and coming at it as such. That puts you miles ahead of most.

Brandon

#11     May 21, 2009
  2. Who knows maybe Raschke doesn't really exist, maybe it's a myth created by brokers to create euphoria among aspiring traders, and generate more commissions. :cool:

I actually like the brokers' business model: their risk is simply not generating enough cash flow from commissions. Thus, they know how to improve THEIR BOTTOMLINE: encourage more trading, directly or indirectly, e.g., by sponsoring various trading forums etc. The more discussion, the more trades etc :mad:

But your risk as a trader is the Market with all its unknowns. How do you improve YOUR BOTTOMLINE?

I'm not saying trading is bad, I'm saying brokers have a better risk profile, built into their business model. So it's better to be a broker than a trader: stay on the sidelines and watch others try to beat the market, find THE system, "learn" etc. Good luck :p

Another business model: hedge funds. Play with other people's ("investors") money. Get fees + profits, if any. In case of ruin, say: oops, sorry. The market is unpredictable, uncertain, blah-blah-blah. Keep your fees. (unless there's outright fraud, like in the madoff case) Then go to Bahamas

That's why I like IB with their unbeatable commissions. Who cares about other brokers with their useless gadgets, only meant to encourage more trading.

RandomZen

#12     May 21, 2009