RETAIL OPTION TRADER Makes $105MM PROFIT in the NDX, SPX & RUT

Discussion in 'Options' started by faust, Dec 10, 2012.

1. ktm

ktm

If there's one thing I've learned from doing this for so many years...and blowing up more than once...it's that you need to have a set of rules for stepping away. And coming back.

Whether that's Delta based or a front month VIX number, there has to be a time where you declare the market unfriendly to what you're doing, take a (hopefully small) loss and step back from the monitor. You may be out for months at a time, and that has to be ok.

#31     Dec 11, 2012
  2. sle

sle

A cursory glance in excel will show you that there have been numerous times over the last 10 years (is that how long she's been around) when S&P moved -100 + 10% * SPX over 8 weeks. In fact, even though she only does trade about 12 times a year, she would have gotten totally canned at least two-three times and no matter how many OTM calls she's sold she would be in deep pain, for example in expirations of Aug/Sep of 2008.

My guess is that she must be a great spinner and knows how to retain capital under management. I am positive she got seriously hurt in 2008, 2010 and definitely in 2011 (given how rapid and nasty the selloff was), maybe also in 2007 and 2005 on , but was able to hold on to her capital and make her way back.

#32     Dec 11, 2012
  3. $100k to $105MM in <6Y? Not organically. Not possible. I know a guy who did that in exotics in 10 years with no capital adds. It's simply not possible with a haircut, outside of some one-off event in futures.

Not selling vola in naked shorts, no way.

#33     Dec 11, 2012
  4. metameta

metameta

in the earlier video it stated about $40 mil in profit and she said that was with about $80-$90 mil so that is in line with the 50% she said for 2011 and 30% + for ytd (oct stating total profit $105 mil from beginning). it still looks like 2x-3x what you could earn selling unbalanced strangles (more puts than calls sold) but it wasn't organic from $100k to $100mil the max percentage i heard in the videos was 30-50% per year which is still high but not 1000x her initial stake. even with portfolio margin it seems hard to get to 50% per year selling strangles.

#34     Dec 11, 2012
  5. Where did the $105MM in profit come from? Oh yeah, from this 7 post clown. Speechless that TOS would allow this person to so blatantly commingle funds in a TOS account.

#35     Dec 11, 2012
  6. kroponer

kroponer

+1. VIX hits 25, get out, come back when VIX puts in a top, use that as your next stop. Of course, VIX whipsaw then becomes the issue. This seems relatively easy to backtest over a weekend.

ktm, you mind sharing a war story?

#36     Dec 11, 2012
  7. metameta

metameta

i am just re-stating what she said in the video. you think she went organic from $100k to $100mil she never said that, the host never said that.

#37     Dec 11, 2012
  8. I haven't watched the video. The title of this thread is "105MM PROFIT". She's illegally commingling funds and talking about it publicly, regardless of the gains to date.

#38     Dec 11, 2012
  9. While I have no way of being certain, the entire presentation seems fraudulent and agenda driven. I have lost respect for Sosnoff for rolling out a grandma to pitch to the unsophisticated whether or not not claims are accurate. If its phony, I will close my TOS account. surf

#39     Dec 11, 2012
  10. ktm

ktm

Vix 25 is actually where I exit these days. I don't come back until it spends 3-4 days in the 20-22 range. The whole "putting in a top" thing is for people smarter than me!!!

I ran a fund for some years and did quite well. Then it all fell apart.

#40     Dec 11, 2012