"Retail" investment in leading CTAs

Discussion in 'Trading' started by AFJ Garner, Mar 29, 2013.

1. I hear ya, but thse were commodity CTA's min investment 25K

one of them charged 4% of the gross and 20% of the profits

the only one that almost did ok charged 0 of the gross and 30% of the profits

max size for most funds was about 8 million, and some were as small as 80k

#31     Apr 4, 2013
  2. Isn't Barclays Hedge all self reported data? It has nothing to do with Barclay's bank, in case anyone was wondering and is based in IOWA. LOL--

<i>Please note: BarclayHedge is not affiliated with Barclays Bank or any of its affiliated entities. We are a privately owned Iowa corporation>/i>

surf

#32     Apr 4, 2013
  3. wow,

I like the profit only fund but 4 percent fees is steep.
    Back in your day were "funds" like fidelity that main stream, ths was alternative to "stock broker" recommendations...

#33     Apr 4, 2013
  4. most people just owned 4 or 5 stocks
    all stockbrokers hated fidelity or any no load fund and they were never mentioned

the first thing I did when I got fired was take all my familiy's money and move it to the Vanguard S&P 500 index fund. It was kind of hard to explain why now, suddenly it was such a good idea, and why they had never heard of it before.

(the 4% guy was up over 120% at one time, but he burnt out quickly. His fund got closed out before it went too far down.)

2/20 became the norm, but most CTA's couldn't make it with such small accounts and left to go on to do other things (Richard Dennis, case in point)

#34     Apr 4, 2013
  5. rwk

rwk

I was noodling this idea a while back. With changes in technology, I believe it would be technically possible to manage individual accounts at $50k and possibly smaller. It's the regulatory hurdles and overhead expense that make it impractical. And small investors are often more trouble than larger (i.e. more sophisticated) ones.

#35     Apr 4, 2013

6. interesting, thanks

#36     Apr 4, 2013
  7. Thought IB and organizations like Vision Financial give you a master accout and you allocate each trade accordinly, so if you have 10 accounts with 10k and you trade 10 lots each get allocated per instructions such as 1 each ?

think you have t oregister as CTA though

#37     Apr 4, 2013
  8. Were those managed accounts or funds ?

#38     Apr 4, 2013
  9. rwk

rwk

I use IB, and that is one of the approaches I considered. But at the time, I was trading fully automated, and I also considering having multiple copies of the IB software and my app. I could add computers as needed, perhaps a whole room full.

There is an exemption for [something like] max 15 investors and max $400k funding in commodities, but the exemption does not allow any advertising. It's supposed to be for friends and family.

#39     Apr 4, 2013
  10. xandman

xandman

Thanks, Surf. I have always wondered if there was a retail backdoor to these legendary futures fund managers. Any other? Do you know of any retail way to get into Dunn Capital Management?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    #40     Apr 25, 2015