"Retail" investment in leading CTAs

Discussion in 'Trading' started by AFJ Garner, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Oh, and I was number one on Autumn Gold before PFG, so to question whether that would be leading might surprise you.

#11     Mar 31, 2013
  2. Question to OP :
    Can you elaborate on the UCIT structure use of the swap ?
    Do all UCITS CTA's (hedge funds) use a swap ? I looked at some UCIT funds such as DB funds and saw no mention of swap.
    Is that the only drawback you see in UCITs ?
    It looks as though most of the true "retail" offerings are disappointing , this includes funds lauched by the big banks.

Another thing to be aware of; CTA's with small minimums are often emerging CTA's with a shorter track record and focused on a few markets, (reason for the small min.) this means less position diversification thus higher risk.

#12     Mar 31, 2013
  3. Larry Williams and Michelle Williams both won the World Cup ---- Michelle has a great career. So does Larry, just in a different way

surf

#13     Mar 31, 2013
  4. Tim Sykes was number 1 on covestor for years. It seems that the World Cup is the only one with any credibility or publicity among the public. Autumn Gold? Can you name one top ranked world CTA that started there? I see Dunn listed-- but I don't think they got there start there. I had to look it up.

#14     Mar 31, 2013
  5. That is not correct. Many CTA's have investment min. of 50 K or less. You can not call yourself a CTA if you are not one. I think that would mean serious trouble.

#15     Mar 31, 2013
  6. rwk

rwk

From the viewpoint of offering "retail" size investments, there are a couple problems that I think account for shortage of offerings. I am surprised that these well-known CTAs are even offering small minimums.

The first problem is that investors looking for low minimums usually don't have much money to invest. They also tend to be less sophisticated and often less reasonable. Consequently, money managers usually find small investors are more trouble than they are worth. They require more hand-holding and can sue just as readily over $10 thousand as $10 million.

Another problem is that the regulatory environment in the USA makes CPO marketing and administration very expensive. It's mostly only the biggest CTAs that have the resources, yet it is the smaller CTAs that are producing the more attractive returns.

#16     Mar 31, 2013
  7. for trend funds.... AQR Capital and Longboard in the mutual fund space.

#17     Mar 31, 2013
  8. It always annoys me when trend following from holding for longer than a month is considered part of that trading style.

#18     Mar 31, 2013
  9. Myself.

Tim Syles wanted to audit his record, and knew his strategy could not be replicated. More kudos to him, but it's not scalable if you're not trading in over $50 million micro cap companies.

#19     Mar 31, 2013
  10. No one on Facebook knows me either. Or the 22000 people that saw an ad leading to two Bloomberg articles. I'm sure I'm anonymous still but the euphoria of messianic initiation feels good because you can be yourself.

Then there's years on boards pointing out falsity and ridiculous notions of not recognizing spurious correlations or simply trading on correlations.

As someone who has discussed deployment of hard currency as a weapon, you better believe I know how to trade, so I'm sure those folks who read that information and follow trades of mine that affect the economy by hundreds of thousands of dollars a day still don't know me, and I'd kind of like to keep it that way actually.

#20     Mar 31, 2013