Retail Gamma Scalping - Underlying VS Front Month Options

Discussion in 'Options' started by RedEyeFly, Nov 11, 2009.

1. haha, thanks. I'll try to work something up to see if its possible to manage on the ThinkorSwim desktop software.

#11     Nov 24, 2009
  2. spindr0

spindr0

If you work something up, try to observe the process intraday. If you can find something that expands and contracts intraday (like a Bollinger Band) you may have a new toy :)

#12     Nov 24, 2009
  3. Follow-up: If you long a straddle and scalp with the underlying, what potential adjustments to you make to the straddle.

Example: Do people often find it helpful to roll one side of the straddle in order to increase gamma? Do people frequently roll forward a position if they are anticipating an increase in vols which has not occurred yet? How many days before expiration has been found to be the happy medium for gamma vs time decay?

Moreover, why would someone other than a market maker want to gamma scalp? If we put a straddle on and it moves to profit, why not just take it off and possibly re-set the position. Naturally I like the idea of being able to scale things around a bit, and remain in the play for a large move, but if you're scalping, there really should not ever be a big move. Again, why scalp instead of just get in - get out?

#13     Nov 24, 2009
  4. spindr0

spindr0

#14     Nov 24, 2009
  5. spindr0

spindr0

I have no idea what and why MMs do what they do. However, if I had a straddle that gapped a strike, it would be a no brainer to me. Either convert to a strangle or roll the straddle back to ATM. Book profits!

Suppose you had a $50 straddle and the stock rose $1. With similar deltas at $50, at $51, the straddle's profit will be very modest. If you scalp, you lock in some of that move and if it reverses, you're ahead. And if you're lucky enough to get a couple of round trips like this during the day, it's a yabba dabba good gamma day!

OTOH, if the stock now goes to $52, you won't have as much straddle profit because the short shares at $51 will be a drag.

So the $64 question is, at $51, how do you know what the rest of the day is going to be? You don't. What you hope for is that every day, the stock goes somewhere. Trend. Oscillate. Scalp. Book. Move. But please don't trade in a narrow box all day.

The short answer to "why scalp instead of just get in - get out?" is that only big moves will allow you to do that with a long straddle. Scalping is like being a trader. Holding a straddle for a big move is like being an investor. Pick your posion.

#15     Nov 24, 2009
  6. In your opinion, would it be more sensical to scalp gamma on an index, currency, or commodity where there is more "noise", or a single underlying equity?

It would appear on face value that an underlying with lots of noise would be better, and that trading as frequently as reasonably possible would also be better, sans a slow death of commissions. I'm at about $0.95/future one way, but I could see how comms will be annoying at best.

Does it make sense to simply trade against the gamma when the delta:gamma ratio hits a certain point say, 1:1 or 2:1 or should we forget the greeks and focus on the price movement and trends of the underlying. (I'm sure there are a million ideas about this out there, but surprisingly little literature.)

In reference to your last post:
    I'm hoping that like the royals of old, if I slowly ingest enough poison over a long enough period of time, I'll eventually be able to handle it without great harm. :)

#16     Nov 24, 2009
  7. spindr0

spindr0

And one other thing. Stay away from last few days before expiration unless you're near ATM because your deltas will be dropping quickly and will be less effective. Therefore, your stock position can weight more heavily.

I have little experience with delta hedging with options. That may be a different game altogether. Dunno.

#17     Nov 24, 2009
  8. spindr0

spindr0

#18     Nov 24, 2009
  9. I appreciate your humility, I've traded sense undergrad and I have learned to only to take those with humility as seasoned by the markets seriously, or at least with something at risk.

It would appear to me at this moment that it may be more advantageous to trade options against options, as by doing so you'll sell one wasting asset against another, and gain some vega protection.

I suppose my only lapse in confidence is in dealing with volatility. However we may shortly be upon some opportunities to long volatility if this market begins to roll over.

I think I may look at what other types of positions are available to be scalped which offer a less binary outcome for volatility. Reverse back spread?

Nevertheless,
    Tudor? No. Fawkes Catholic. Ha.

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it.

#19     Nov 24, 2009
  10. If you 'gamma-scalps' an option, it only makes sens if gamma is worth something. If it doesn't (ie if one leg of your straddle is DITM), gamma is close to 0, and delta won't move enough to make an impact on your delta hedge pnl. That way, it's better "to let the gamma run" or to roll over the ditm leg into a better gamma option.
    Remember, daily pnl for gamma scalper is about 1/2*gamma*stockmove*stockmove-theta.

#20     Nov 25, 2009