Resume help

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by texas elite, Aug 23, 2006.

1. 2 questions..I have been trading at a prop shop for 3 years now (upon graduating from college) and trying to get a resume together for a really great job opportunity (believe it or now, a "dream job" for me...as much as I love trading, it's the only thing that could pull me away).

Question 1 - What is the best title for my job as a trader? Simply an Equities Trader? Anything fanicer you guys can think of (please take this seriously).

Question 2 - Because I am technically self-employed...would I be better off listing my trading experience under a personal business name (ex... My Last Name Capital Management) and my title as the "President"....or just using the prop shops name?

Thanks in advance, any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. bump

3. Go with whatever makes you comfortable. Trying to come up with a fancy name for an equity prop trader just expresses an insecurity you have about how the work you've done for the last three years will be percieved by your new job. Don't worry about it - don't make up a fancy name, just tell them you've been trading stocks succesfully for the last three years and have thoroughly enjoyed the process and that this one job is the only thing that could pull you away from trading. Tell the boss about the unique skills required for trading and how the discipline, independence, and work ethic you learned from trading will help you propser at the new job in ways that other employees without your trading experience will never be able to emulate. Be confident and come across as happy about your past, remembering fullwell that any attempts to sugarcoat your time as a trader will likely be noticed and percieved as insecurity about your past. Just be yourself.

4. Just be careful with "LNCM" as a company name. People may still be hunting for the president of LTCM. :)

5. "Fully licensed professional equities trader" or similar...be sure to note the license...it makes a big difference.

Don