Restricted: Complex or Leveraged Exchange Traded Product

Discussion in 'Trading' started by cambridgesoho, Jan 13, 2020.

1. graz

graz

I know this thread is a bit old, but I'm having the same issue. I just setup my IB Roth IRA Margin account and my permissions are enabled for "Complex or Leveraged Exchange Traded Products" but VIXY, which is a leveraged & inverse ETF is not available for trading? There may be others but this is the one I noticed so far because I love to trade this. There's many leveraged & inverse ETFs that ARE available for trading but not this one? I'm able to trade VIXY in my Vanguard Roth but not in my Roth IRA with IB? Why? I tried rebooting TWS- no joy. Maybe there's something more I need to set in my permissions? Thanks.

#21     Apr 13, 2020
  2. jwmcadoo

jwmcadoo

Reply #16 solved my issues.

#22     Apr 13, 2020
  3. graz

graz

Thanks for the quick reply. My permissions have been enabled a month ago for "Leveraged Exchange Traded Products". I have many leveraged & inverse ETFs that ARE available to trade- but not VIXY.

I realize I have an IRA Margin Acct in IB, (where I can't trade short) but I can still long on inverse/leveraged ETFs. I guess I'll need to call them AGAIN and wait on hold for an hour.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    #23     Apr 13, 2020
  4. graz

graz

Another ETF that is not tradable is VIXM which I do not normally trade but the similarities of VIXY and VIXM may offer some hints as to why they cannot be traded.

#24     Apr 13, 2020
  5. graz

graz

Just wanted to report back. Certain restrictions on trading ETFs are because of the IRA, regardless if the permissions are enabled for "Complex or Leveraged Exchange Traded Products". The way it was explained to me, trading some EFTs creates a K-1 tax form by the trustee, even if you're trading it within an IRA and IB doesn't want to deal with that. Vanguard (of all institutions) allows me to trade these funds but not IBKR. Hmm.

#25     Apr 18, 2020
  6. bizhobby

bizhobby

Had the same issue in my IRA. Then I realized that cash settled VIX options are actually allowed. On top of that you can trade the VIX futures in a margin IRA.

#26     Dec 8, 2020