Resistance training to momentary muscular failure improves cardiovascular fitness in humans

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frederick Foresight, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Resistance training to momentary muscular failure improves cardiovascular fitness in humans: A review of acute physiological responses and chronic physiological Adaptations

Abstract

Research demonstrates resistance training produces significant improvement in cardiovascular fitness (VO 2 max, economy of movement). To date no review article has considered the underlying physiological mechanisms that might support such improvements. This article is a comprehensive, systematic narrative review of the literature surrounding the area of resistance training, cardiovascular fitness and the acute responses and chronic adaptations it produces. The primary concern with existing research is the lack of clarity and inappropriate quantification of resistance training intensity. Thus, an important consideration of this review is the effect of intensity. The acute metabolic and molecular responses to resistance training to momentary muscular failure do not differ from that of traditional endurance training. Myocardial function appears to be maintained, perhaps enhanced, in acute response to high intensity resistance training, and contraction intensity appears to mediate the acute vascular response to resistance training. The results of chronic physiological adaptations demonstrate that resistance training to momentary muscular failure produces a number of physiological adaptations, which may facilitate the observed improvements in cardiovascular fitness. The adaptations may include an increase in mitochondrial enzymes, mitochondrial proliferation, phenotypic conversion from type IIx towards type IIa muscle fibers, and vascular remodeling (including capillarization). Resistance training to momentary muscular failure causes sufficient acute stimuli to produce chronic physiological adaptations that enhance cardiovascular fitness. This review appears to be the first to present this conclusion and, therefore, it may help stimulate a changing paradigm addressing the misnomer of 'cardiovascular' exercise as being determined by modality.

The paper in its entirety is available here:

https://www.researchgate.net/public...sponses_and_chronic_physiological_Adaptations

Clubber Lang likes this.
  2. So what's the difference in this as opposed to an isometric type exercise where you take a weight you can't possibly move and try to move it? Wouldn't both provide the same benefit? On occasion I'll finish off with going over to do cable crossovers with a weight I can't move. Quite fatiguing in a very short period of time, like 10-15 seconds.
    Not arguing one method over the other, it just seems that both would be beneficial.

3. I couldn't say. I just know I personally don't care for isometrics all that much. But I do hold the last rep at static failure for a bit before finishing with a very slow negative.

4. The good news is that we gym rats will have strong hearts. The bad news is it's less likley we have the big grabber and die quickly as opposed to some organ eating disease that slowly kills us. :p

Clubber Lang likes this.
  5. Well that was an uplifting post
    LOL

CaptainObvious likes this.