Resetting the home router periodically

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bolimomo, Feb 15, 2011.

1. I kept heaing this 30km and wireless. 30km is roughly 18 miles. What does this distance measure?

#11     Feb 16, 2011
  2. heech

heech

I actually had something similar to this last week... it might have been router failure, but I also wondered if one of the many devices* I had on the network might have been malfunctioning (or virus/trojan'ed). And dropping the router might have been enough to reset whatever that malfunctioning device was.

*Devices include: X-Box, Netflix-thing-a-majig, IP TV device, 2 iPads, 4 iPhones, Wifi printer, 3 desktops, 2 laptops, etc, etc...

#12     Feb 16, 2011
  3. dcvtss

dcvtss

Depending on your level of technical inclination you can build a firewall / router out of an old pc and extra network card(s) which will be faster and more robust than a consumer grade device ever will. I run OpenBSD on mine and the only time it ever gets rebooted is when the power fails, which seems to be rapidly approaching third world reliability levels.

#13     Feb 16, 2011
  4. The distance between two antennas ;)

Basically there are some internet providers in rural areas that dont work on cables but use radio to go from location to location. This is often done using standard - just stronger - WAN equipment, plus very good directional antennas.

And yes, this way you CAN cover about 20 miles from one tower to the next ;)

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41909 for an example.

#14     Feb 16, 2011
  5. Why not retest rather than reset?

#15     Feb 17, 2011
  6. Trader13

Trader13

Reliability issues are often heat-related. Routers get hot, so I keep mine on a cooling pad running 24x7.

#16     Feb 19, 2011
  7. I have found 2 quick things you can do to improve the wifi connection at home:

1. Try at all possible: move the wifi router closer to your computer(s) where you will be using the USB wifi dongles.

2. The USB wifi dongles usually come with a USB extension cord and a craddle. Situate this craddle as far away from the power supply of your PC as possible. I found that putting the USB wifi craddle+dongle on top of my desk got me a much stronger signal than leaving them dangling down from the back of the PC chassis below the desk.

#17     Feb 23, 2011
  8. da-net

da-net

Looking for info;

Upgrading speeds available and thinking of best equipment...thoughts?

here is the new speeds down / up; 22 Meg / 2 Meg

current wired NICs in desktops 10/100/1000

best switch / router 8 port minimum...data quality (no dropped packets), good manufacturer cust service, etc...cost is not a concern

currently using a Netgear and it has issues with hanging...so time to replace

#18     Feb 28, 2011