Researcher wants to know about Auto Trading Companies

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by hlabny, Feb 20, 2006.

1. hlabny

hlabny

Hi

I've spent quite a bit of time reading these threads, but need to know some specific things....

I'm an analyst doing market research on different automated trading companies. I'd like to talk to/email people who are currently using one of these companies. If you are willing/able to have a short conversation with me (15 mins), I can compensate you for your time (e.g. Amazon.com gift certificate).

Thanks

2. What do you mean by 'using'? I suspect most companies doing automated trading are trading for themselves and don't have clients. Tradebot seems to be doing just that. No clue if they are successful.

3. hlabny

hlabny

As far as I can tell, most black box traders write their own software but use a 3rd party platform to connect to the markets. I'm interested in these 'platforms'.

Good question, I should have been more specific.

4. I am not sure what do you mean by "using an automated trading company", are you talking about automated trading systems (i.e., StrategyRunner), or people who are using automated trading systems as an institution. Also, what do you mean about "research", if it is industry research, what is your firm (i.e., Gartner, Forrester, Meta, Tabb, etc.), if it is academic research, which university? If anything, you will find that the entities who run automated trading systems to be more secretive than entities that does not, so present some credentials will be a good start. Also, would the participants get a copy of your final report (if it is an interesting report, it would be more worthwhile than a $50 Amazon gift certificate).

For the record, I run a set of automated trading systems as a professional (member of several exchanges). I have been dealing with firms like Tabb Group for a long time now, so I would be interested in your credentials (and I will check them out) first.

5. Good clarification. Then you are talking about DMA platforms usually offered by brokerage firms (such as REDI+, CSFB's Agora, etc). Then my system is not your target research base then, since I am a member of a few exchanges, I have my own connections to the markets (I am my own broker, if you will).