Research on day trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ironchef, Aug 18, 2017.

1. ironchef

ironchef

Most of you said that the majority of day traders lost money, and here is an article that quoted some statistics:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...a-profit-are-lower-than-you-expect-2016-08-19

which said 80% of day traders were unprofitable after a year and only 1.6% were profitable net of fee.

On the other hand there is this article:

http://www.cdx3investor.com/ns/articles/apr08_day_trader_research.pdf

Since:

The second article made some sense to me since day trading is more or less a zero sum game, so if most day traders are trading against one another the # of wins and losses must approximately equal.

Their conclusion:

And here is what really counts:

The one group we do not want to trade with is market makers, no one beats them in this game!

And to you professionals here, don't show your disdains towards us small mom and pop traders, you need us to pay your bills.:)

johnnyrock likes this.
  2. Overnight

Overnight

I spew disdain to those who think that "stock traders" are the only ones who comprise trading. Dude...Seriously?

All you see is stock trading? *sighs* Algofy, please eviscerate this folk. Thanks!

3. algofy

algofy

everybody knows the only pro trader around is the bitcoinz traders.

fordewind likes this.
  4. Jack1960

Jack1960

All day traders I know make over a million dollars.

lawrence-lugar likes this.
  5. Overnight

Overnight

That was not an evisceration. Into the penalty box with ye. 12 hours.

6. I am not sure whether it's appropriate to call day traders traders. A lot of them trade without market knowledge and experience and without risk management. If this was an airline industry, it's like giving the pilot title to those who doesn't know how to fly airplanes. Pilots get their title after going through thousands of simulations while these traders start trading as soon as they open up their account.

Sands likes this.
  7. dealmaker

dealmaker

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt"
    - Mark Twain

johnnyrock, yiehom and Handle123 like this.
  8. Overnight

Overnight

Yes, it is appropriate to call daytraders, traders. Just as it is appropriate to call pilots, pilots.

You must either be from another country, or have no clue what you are speaking of regarding FAA rules. Pilots do not get a "title" per se. Pilots get licensed on different levels. There's Student, Sport, Private, Commercial, ATP. But they are not titles. They are levels of licensure. All of them ARE PILOTS.

This is not the same thing as trading. Where you be going with this I am not sure, but pilot licenses have NOTHING to do with trading. BAD analogy. Kthankxbye.

Sands, cafeole and Visaria like this.
  9. Fair enough, we can agree to disagree.

10. dealmaker

dealmaker

Plato wouldn't allow poets in his Republic, he called them dangerous people who have ideas, worse dreams...

#10     Aug 19, 2017
    johnnyrock likes this.