Requirements to have to register as a CTA/CPO?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Stok, Jul 22, 2010.

  1. Stok


    Yet to call the NFA about this, but if less than 30% of my portfolio is allocated to futures, and the rest is cash FOREX...would that require me to register with the NFA and have to become a CTA?

    What other exemptions does the NFA have to register? I know if you do not hold yourself out as a pro and/or manage only accredited investors...I think you do not have to register.

    Basically, I manage a small LP with one other investor...looking if we grow this and bring in more investors and start a LP fund structure, would I be under the scrutiny of the NFA or just have basic state registrations and that's it.
  2. Truff

  3. Stok


    Thanks! Looks like I will have to register no matter what then....if going the route of a CPO.

    Was hoping to just be able to do a basic LP fund structure and state registrations :(