Requirements for a Mentor

Discussion in 'Trading' started by 123Magic, Apr 22, 2007.

1. 123Magic

123Magic

No, he has no interest in becoming a vendor. The definition of mentor or teacher if you will is appropriate in this case. That is not to say, however, that he is a saint who will spend his time doing this for free--he wants to charge a fair price for the value received, which I think he is entitled to.

#11     Apr 22, 2007
  2. The above statement lets me know that you're for real. If you've got the other parts covered (the usual entry/exits that everyone seems to concentrate 90% of their attention) AND he/she is as good as you are, I'd say 3k-5k for 2 weeks to 1 month of hardcore tutelage, + an added for an additional 6 months of hand-holding (if required) for additional fees ... then it's time for them to fly.

Jimmy Jam

#12     Apr 22, 2007
  3. One can only wonder about his patients ...

JJ

#13     Apr 22, 2007
  4. 123Magic

123Magic

Wayne, you might be correct. One of the big questions here is whether or not there is a need for this type of service to make it worth persuing and yet not make this a marketing juggernaut like Traders International, RSofHouston and others of that ilk. Ditto for Web vendors like Puretick, Falcon Day Trading, and Kingfish.

#14     Apr 22, 2007
  5. I've never had a coach or mentor but there was a decent article on this in the April issue of SFO Magazine.

"Trading Coaches Needed"
    http://www.sfomag.com/issuedetail.asp?MonthNameID=April&YearID=2007

Damon

#15     Apr 22, 2007
  6. Boib

Boib

Taking your word that the guy is a successful trader, how will one know if he will be a successful teacher?

I would suggest he take on one or two students for little or no cost, or possibly a percentage of their trading profits, and see if he can actually teach.

If he is a successful teacher, he should be able to charge whatever he wants. The problem will be convincing people he is a successful teacher.

If he is known as a successful trader in the local community he should have no problem finding students to experiment with.

#16     Apr 22, 2007
  7. In a similar vein, start with a few people, charge a "smaller" fee and then increase it from there depending on what the workload turns out to be. You could operate face-to-face, over the telephone or via instant messaging.

#17     Apr 22, 2007
  8. 123Magic

123Magic

Of course he's prepared to show his trading statements and allow those who are serious to confirm those results with his broker. He has no interest in a profit sharing arrangement with his students in lieu of a tuition fee. That's akin to going to law school for free and then having the university get a slice of the students future legal fees.

#18     Apr 22, 2007
  9. Boib

Boib

So you saying that because he is a successful trader he will be a successful teacher?

#19     Apr 22, 2007
  10. Boib

Boib

But Law schools have a proven track record for teaching. Lots of documentation that this or that school turns out successful lawyers.

#20     Apr 22, 2007