Requesting Market Data in Interactive Brokers

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Dean1406, May 15, 2017.

1. Dean1406

Dean1406

Hi,

Has anyone else encountered issues with requesting/receiving market data from IB after they've done the restructuring in their market data subscription system?

I used to be able to receive contract for certain stocks (while being subscribed to Level I BATS data) this way:

private NewContract buildContract(String symbol) {

NewContract contract = new NewContract();

contract.symbol(SPY);

contract.secType(SecType.STK);

contract.exchange("BATS");

contract.currency("USD");

returncontract;

Now, no matter what I try or subscribe to, I just can't seem to receive the data this way?

Please help!

Thanks

Dean

2. maybe also post the TWS API group at groups.io

3. Have you tried to use "SMART" instead of "BATS"? And I guess that the symbol name should be a string, thus surrounded by quotes: "SPY" instead of SPY.

4. Dean1406

Dean1406

Yes, it should be surrounded by quotes. I only forgot to put them here as part of the example.

I've progressed with this a bit and found out that the problem might be the data subscriptions after all. Because i'm requesting market depth. But if I'm only after bid/ask of top of the book, shouldn't Level I quotes be enough?

Thanks

5. Yes, level 1 should be enough for bid/ask prices (I don't have any level 2 subscriptions). It might be that "BATS" is now part of a different subscription package. I don't know the details because I use "SMART". Alternatively you could try to use "ARCA".

6. Dean1406

Dean1406

Hi HobbyTrading,

I agree about the necessary subscriptions but it still doesn't work for me. What are you subscribed to that enables you to get the top-of-book bid/ask using the SMART exchange option? Also ARCA didn't work for me unfortunately...

Thanks

7. @Dean1406 I have market data subscriptions "US Securities Snapshot and Futures Value Bundle" plus Level 1 (NBBO) for "NASDAQ (Network C/UTP)" and "NYSE (Network A/CTA)". I'm not sure whether you need NASDAQ as ARCA (where most ETFs are being traded) is part of NYSE. I don't use AMEX (Network B/CTA), so I'm not subscribed to this.