Requesting help to find a simple monitor solution.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Laissez Faire, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Hello all,

I'm currently using a 13.3" ASUS Zenbook with a 14" Lenovo LCD screen. It's great for mobility and travel, but I think it would benefit me to have more work space.

I only trade one product, so I would need one screen for charts and one screen for Excel/MATLAB.

For now, I'm considering either one single 27" screen or two smaller screens. Most likely, I will go for one single 27" screen and rather expand with one extra later on due to limitation on desktop space right now. I might get all I need on that one alone? If not, I also have my laptop.

I've been looking at the 27" Samsung curved displays, but not sure if there's any purpose or value in those? It seems like I might get a Samsung 28" 4K screen for the same price, but the increased resolution might not be desirable after all?

Any tips or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

PS: It will only be used for trading (charts, Excel, Matlab, etc.).

Thanks in advance.

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

In my opinion, 2x24" screens are better than one big one. Curved displays seem like a waste of money for trading. You can mount the display if you don't have desk space.

3. wartrace

wartrace

I bought a 42 inch 4k monitor last year and LOVE it. I am able to put up a DOM, two tapes, an "auction vista heatmap" (http://www.jigsawtrading.com/auction-vista-order-flow-heatmap/), a 1/4 screen 70 tick chart and a half screen footprint chart.

This monior replaced a four monitor setup. I bought it on Amazon from "wasabi Mango". They use a samsung screen.

They also have a 49 inch and 55 inch available.

viruscore1 likes this.
  4. wintergasp

wintergasp

4k monitors are the best dont buy hd and uhd crap

viruscore1 likes this.
  5. wartrace

wartrace

This is so true. DO NOT BUY A TV to use as a monitor. The screen response time is much slower on a television set. Make sure.

lawrence-lugar likes this.
  6. xandman

xandman

2 screens are better. Cumulatively, you can waste considerable time tiling windows in a single screen every time you launch a new app. There are third party apps to manage tiling, but still a source of superfluous repetitive motion.

It doesn't take more than a few minutes for you to memorize where minimized apps will launch. So, windows toolbar will manage min/max -ing of apps.

7. Chubbly

Chubbly

8. xandman

xandman

Nice. Multi-client, too. So, you don't crash the setup surfing pron on another box.

I actually saw a top selling off-brand (phillips-based) with screen partitioning technology on Amazon. Strange, it didn't take off.

If they provided portrait oriented partitioning, we wouldn't have all these silly twisted screens. I should apply for a Dell sales development job. I would make bank. Parumpump!:D

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  9. CyJackX

CyJackX

If you don't need them for anything but trading and graphs, forget any aesthetics and go with the cheapest used monitors from craigslist.
    Curved is a gimmick, resolution doesn't mean much without considering size/DPI.

I have a 40" 4K, which is equivalent to 4x 20" 1080 panels. Don't go high-res unless the screen is big enough, those 27" 4K panels won't scale the GUI well enough, last I heard.

10. birzos

birzos

Until you have 34" widescreens wrapping around, then they're fantastic and watch in amazement while everyone still trades in the dark ages.

#10     Jan 5, 2017