Requesting Help Before Ordering Hardware!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by radist, Dec 13, 2010.

1. radist

radist

I'm not very technically savy and put together a computer system based on all the great info on this website. But could anyone kindly review the specs in my shopping cart and see if I omitted anything significant.

I'm purchasing it from Cyberpower in Baldwin Park, CA as follows:

Configuration
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-950 3.06 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366
    HDD: 1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)
    MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
    MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) MSI X58A-GD65 Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Triple-Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Audio, eSATA, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III, RAID, IEEE1394a, 3 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI (All Venom OC Certified)
    SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+54] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

Price: $1,140.62 including tax and 3 year, non-onsite warranty. But I live driving distance.

Excludes windows as I have comparable software on my mac.

Will have three, 24" monitors, either HP LA2405wg 24-inch Widescreen LCD or Dell Ultrasharp.

What do you think? I'm worried about the fine details like extra fans or something big I should have known about but don't.

I compared Dell and HP and this appears to be the best bang for the best price.

Many thanks.
    Melanie

3. radist

radist

What is Sandy Bridge platform? Will google it....Cyberpower is backlogged for a month due to the holidays so sounds as if I should wait. Thanks for your input.

4. Looks priced about right. Only issue should be video card(s). Planning to game and trade on this rig? Trade only?

You'll need to either find another video card compatible with your GTS 450 (likely a 2nd identical card will work)... or if you plan to not game on this rig, might want to replace your video card with 2, fanless workstation cards... I prefer Nvidia Quadro NVS 295s (<$50 each on eBay)... but there are others.

5. jokepie

jokepie

Well, the config is good.

I would get a Smaller 10,000 RPM hard drive (velocity raptor) instead of 7200RPM. Or hell get a Solid state HDD.
    Also, currently you have 16mb Cache on you HDD. Good HDD's have 32mb.

Your hard drive can cause alot of system performance issues, so be wise.

6. radist

radist

Scat, good catch. Thanks. Looks like one vid card above but I selected two. I'm trading with only. I will research your suggestion.

I'm glad you think the price is right because now thinking about any new system will result in higher prices, and I think I get enough in this package for the price.

7. radist

radist

I can easily get the 32mb hard drive. I will definitely look into the 10,000 RPM and reprice it. Thanks.

8. radist

radist

Test. My responses the posts are not reflected...

9. radist

radist

That worked. Oh, I was posting too soon...

Joke and Scat and badboy. Thanks for your suggestions. Will refigure and repost. Thanks again.

10. I'll second the above rsuggestions: fanless video cards, SSD, and low noise CPU & case fans too... silence is priceless!

#10     Dec 14, 2010