Republicans: Trillions Could Be Cut from Budget if We Eliminate Empathy

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RobtF, Jul 3, 2011.

1. If we accept this as true... that leaves politicians out.

#11     Jul 3, 2011
  2. RobtF

RobtF

Only two things are infinite. The universe and human folly and I'm not sure about the first.
    Albert Einstein

#12     Jul 3, 2011
  3. JamesL

JamesL

I constantly scratch my head when supposedly intelligent people confuse hyperbole such as this, the Onion, or Jon Stewart for actual news.

:confused:

#13     Jul 3, 2011
  4. The satirical article was humorous but those here taking it seriously is hilarious.

#14     Jul 3, 2011
  5. Lucrum

Lucrum

When I first saw the thread title I was hoping it was true.

#15     Jul 3, 2011
  6. Locutus

Locutus

a) I'm not an American
    b) I think a lot of people including (maybe especially) Americans are idiots (look at that scatasomething guy)
    c) It doesn't surprise me that one of your politicians might be an idiot too, to appeal to the voters. You have Michelle Bachman, Sarah Palin and so forth, I certainly am not surprised every time they say something retarded. You have well-watched shows like Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh and O'Reilly.

How the hell is it funny that I am surprised? There is nothing funny about it.

To me, it's scary that I thought it could be real. Of course it is a little bit over the top, so I did a google after I posted that and figured it wasn't real but it's not funny at all that this wasn't 100% obvious (maybe 50% or so).

#16     Jul 3, 2011
  7. clacy

clacy

So, if you're an American, or you're conservative, or you're a female Republican politician, or you have a talk news commentary show that appeals to conservatives, you're stupid?

Did I get that right?

#17     Jul 3, 2011
  8. Betapeg

Betapeg

They can say the same for greed. What's optimal is a balance between greed and empathy.

#18     Jul 3, 2011
  9. toc

toc

there are many jobs in america which are done by illegal immigrants because no american wants them. time to cut off the welfare programs by 50% and have fat rears off to work.

:D

#19     Jul 3, 2011
  10. Locutus

Locutus

Not at all. You are likely stupid if the things you say are frequently factually wrong or morally questionable from a reasonably objective point of view. Maybe you're one of those people who doesn't find the items of these types appalling (to each his own), which is fine, but you can't then turn around and say that it's surprising people from around the world are going to have a different view of the US than they have had. Global sentiment towards the US has recovered a bit with Obama but it's still a relatively unfavourable climate.

By the way, publically calling the president a traitor (directly or indirectly) should be a capital offense or at least some kind of offense.

To clarify, I don't think all Americans are stupid. If it read that way that wasn't my point. However, after Bush had two terms, Palin, Bachmann and with Fox being more than a sideshow station, there really isn't much that will surprise me anymore.

And also, my point is not that there is anything "wrong" with the US. I really like the US and I love going there and I love the people I meet there. I'm merely expressing why I didn't find the OP totally implausible.

#20     Jul 3, 2011