republicans. they cant all be this stupid? rape cant get a woman pregnant?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Aug 20, 2012.

1. I have a novel solution... Screw the states.

Given that all this concerns women, first and foremost, especially in cases of rape, why not let women vote on this issue. Period. Why is it that a bunch of old dudes get to cast a deciding vote, rather than the people who are the ones most directly involved and are the victims in the most egregious cases?

#21     Aug 20, 2012
  2. Ricter

Ricter

We cannot concede that much power to women, who on balance vote dem over rep.

#22     Aug 20, 2012
  3. Ah, OK... I thought it was 'cos they were, you know, stoopid and all emotional-like, being women and all.

#23     Aug 20, 2012
  4. jem

jem

1. to turn your recent argument around... (note for those of you wondering why I am being a dick here... I am doing it because this poster just lectured us in similar fashion on the nadal and bolt thread.)

first of all, you are happy with 50 percent tax rates and big govt... so I suspect you do not understand our constitution dictates that matters of health and safety are left to the states and that if a Supreme Court not filled with liberals votes on this subject our constitution might be honored and this would once again be a state issue... as it had been. ... your ignorance of our cultural and constitutional history is astounding...

a. Since there is no doubt we are dealing with human life.. I would think 2 people should have to consent before a homicide is committed.

b. atlthough I doubt it would get by our constitutional process... for your thought experiment... I agree lets have the women vote on it ... state by state.

#24     Aug 20, 2012
  5. Cool, then we're in agreement...

#25     Aug 20, 2012
  6. Jem, just curious exactly when do you consider a fertilized egg becomes a child?

#26     Aug 20, 2012
  7. jem

jem

I think it becomes a human being at conception.

Whether we as a society wish to give the mother a right to kill a human being and under what circumstances is the issue...

not whether its a human being.

When you wish to imbue that human being with protection under the US. constitution leads to an interesting history lesson.

But we know its all sophistry... because we know a women and her doctor can kill a baby that could also subject a third party to a murder charge.

#27     Aug 20, 2012
  8. Ricter

Ricter

What about when the ovum's outer membrane has been penetrated by a spermatozoon but the DNA transfer has not yet occurred, is that thing a human being?

#28     Aug 20, 2012
  9. jem

jem

that one is hinting at some metaphysical stuff above my pay grade because I do not know when the soul shows up.

but regarding human being... it sounds like it is not a human being until we combine 2 sets of DNA.

I could be wrong...

#29     Aug 20, 2012
  10. Ricter

Ricter

I bet the soul looks forward to the trillion cell body--existence inside a one cell body would be fuckin' cramped!

#30     Aug 20, 2012