republicans. they cant all be this stupid? rape cant get a woman pregnant?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Ricter

Ricter

To be fair, he was talking about legitimate rape, not all rape. So while he may be wrong, at least he was kind enough to differentiate.

#11     Aug 20, 2012
  2. that is why i phrased the title of the thread as a question:
    "republicans. they cant all be this stupid?"

i just knew, secretly, many of them really are.

#12     Aug 20, 2012
  3. yea by using those words he is turning rape victims into whores. if they end up pregnant after a rape it was not a legitimate rape. ie they asked for it.

#13     Aug 20, 2012
  4. Well, he is on the Science and Technology Committee, so we can expect nothing less.:eek:

#14     Aug 20, 2012
  5. jem

jem

for those suffering from liberal IQ disease.. he was implying rape by a stranger may be distinguished from when rape is mis-reported.

I see no thinker is now doing his duck the issue liberal cheap shot dance.

#15     Aug 20, 2012
  6. While the OP may have been baiting the hook a little to generously, there is no way to parse the words of Todd Akin and make him look any less idiotic. I'm sure Romney would like to beat this guy with a ball bat today. Akins best defense would be to start slurring his speech and pretend he had a stroke.

#16     Aug 20, 2012
  7. jem

jem

I agree with your read on the politics... but I disagree that the congressman said anything technically incorrect. I would like to see the stats.... if there are any...

The people I am concerned about here are the women who were raped.

The only answer I see to this issue is that I see that abortion is the killing of a human being.

But I understand that many americans think women should have the right to kill in some circumstances.

Therefore as an American... I think the proper response is to let the states vote on it. But I do not think the tax payers should be paying for it.

#17     Aug 20, 2012
  8. rcn10ec

rcn10ec

Heh, heh... Him and Biden ought to get together for a debate or something. A remake of Laugh-In!:D

#18     Aug 20, 2012
  9. do you really want this kind of thinking in positions of power?the history of this republican meme:

It’s “God’s shield”

In 1988, Stephen Freind, a state representative in Pennsylvania, defended his no-exceptions anti-abortion stance — as Akin was doing Sunday — by claiming that it was virtually impossible for a woman who is raped to become pregnant. “The odds are one in millions and millions and millions,” Freind said in a debate in March of that year. “And there is a physical reason for that. Rape, obviously, is a traumatic experience. When that traumatic experience is undergone, a woman secretes a certain secretion, which has a tendency to kill sperm.”

Freind promised to provide scientific documentation of his theory and told a cheering crowd later that month, “If you’re expecting me to back off, the answer is no.”

Seven years later, a state legislator in North Carolina championed the same theory. Henry Aldridge, a Republican state representative, argued for the elimination of a public fund to help poor women pay for abortions by using a similar argument. “The facts show that people who are raped — who are truly raped — the juices don’t flow, the body functions don’t work and they don’t get pregnant,”

http://freethoughtblogs.com/zingularity/2012/08/20/its-gods-shield/

#19     Aug 20, 2012
  10. jem

jem

this is the meme

"ancedotally" some doctors and nurses state there are not a lot of pregnancies from " forcible rape".

not being big on this type of argument I would prefer to see the stats.
    when the stats and documents are missing... I suspect suspect liberals at work.

#20     Aug 20, 2012