republicans. they cant all be this stupid? rape cant get a woman pregnant?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Aug 20, 2012.

1. TPM2012
    Republican Senate Nominee: Victims Of ‘Legitimate Rape’ Don’t Get Pregnant

Rep. Todd Akin, the Republican nominee for Senate in Missouri who is running against Sen. Claire McCaskill, justified his opposition to abortion rights even in case of rape with a claim that victims of “legitimate rape” have unnamed biological defenses that prevent pregnancy.

“First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare,” Akin told KTVI-TV in an interview posted Sunday. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/08/todd-akin-legitimate-rape.php

2. okay prove it can happen:D

3. This is the kind of shyt the majority whip has to face all day everyday from the Tea Party wing of the GOP. It must be crazy to be him right now.

4. Legitimate rape? This guy needs a couple nights in a prision cell with bubba. He won't get prego either. Idiot!

5. Well, this pretty much explains why we're in the shape we're in. This nitwit serves on the Committee for Science, Space, and Technology. We're done as a country!

6. jem

jem

This is what he said.

“First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare,”

so no thinkers headline is a lie..
    Whether his statement is true or not... I have no idea.

7. did you take biology in school? you know from the science that it would make no difference how the sperm got in there. you know its not true.

what is it with you religious types. any religious nutcase can say anything and as long as religion is involved you will close ranks around that statement?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Physicians For Life, an organization of ideologically warped doctors who abuse science to justify anti-abortion screeds. In one article, they carry out a set of weird calculations to trivialize pregnancies from rape. They go through a series of calculations to throw out most rapes (the woman is too old or too young to get pregnant, for instance…which should set off your alarms right there. Child rape is less of a problem simply because they won’t get pregnant?), and then comes to this weird excuse:

Finally, factor in what is certainly one of the most important reasons why a rape victim rarely gets pregnant, and that’s psychic trauma. Every woman is aware that stress and emotional factors can alter her menstrual cycle. To get and stay pregnant a woman’s body must produce a very sophisticated mix of hormones. Hormone production is controlled by a part of the brain that is easily influenced by emotions. There’s no greater emotional trauma that can be experienced by a woman than an assault rape. This can radically upset her possibility of ovulation, fertilization, and implantation.
    Does that sound familiar? Missouri congressvermin Todd Akin recently echoed that sentiment, claiming that ‘legitimate rape’ rarely causes pregnancy (and it’s not just Akin — right-wingers everywhere parrot that claim).

Dr Jen Gunter speculates that Akin got his misinformation from Physicians for Life, and also takes apart their claim.

The Physicians for Life site quotes 3 sources, only one is original research. The one article was authored by Goth and published in the New England Journal of Medicine, 1977 (yes, 1977) and in NO WAY SUPPORTS THE NOTION THAT RAPES ARE RARE OR THAT THE STRESS RESPONSE LOWERS THE PREGNANCY RATE. It is an article about sexual dysfunction among rapists. Put another way, the Physicians for Life have not provided a single published article to support their claims. Interestingly, Physicians for Life also promote the long disproven claim that abortion causes breast cancer.
    It’s based on nothing but air and lies, in other words.
    http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula

8. jem

jem

You are a complete fooln no thinker. you have everything backwards. all the time.

you do not know when to argue feelings and when to argue math... as a leftist you are always on the complete wrong side of this shit.

hard science you argue math... soft science you argue subjective emotional stuff. Studies mean crap when peoples answers are involved.

Science means close to nothing when it comes to fertility and women. We are dealing with women and hormones and yes... not completely understood stuff. (absent procedures)

Plus I suspect you know nothing about pregnancy.

My wife was pregnant 9 times that I know of. (we only have 4 kids, because she had trouble holding onto babies after 10 weeks)

Because my wife was always pregnant for about a decade... we had a bunch of friends come to us for fertility advice.. sometimes they were joking sometimes not. Normally I just laughed or said practice. but... One time at a wedding table a couple asked us out loud. They were sort of taking the piss out of me... (as an aussie might say) I had a buzz so I decided to respond.

I said there are two ingredients... one you have to visit our house because it creates pregnancies and then you have to have a few drinks go home and do it doggie style. It turns out the advice worked for that couple. And they loved to tell the story at parties. For the next five or so years a whole bunch of people told us it worked. (not everyone visited our house but a few did)

So I am quite sure... that the mood makes a difference... its is possible it is the man who is effected by the mood but knowing how uptight these women were about getting pregnant... I am pretty sure it was the women.

9. so you really didnt take biology.

10. jem

jem

What before the great war bio was an elective for your class?
    when I was in high school everyone had to take bio.

I notice you did not respond with any studies showing the Republican was wrong.

#10     Aug 20, 2012