republicans oppose teaching of “critical thinking skills”

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Jun 29, 2012.

1. you dont enjoy your journey through this life? how sad for you. i think religion does that to you. you are taught that you are as worthless as a pile of rags.

"But WE ARE ALL AS AN UNCLEAN THING AND ALL OUR RIGHTEOUSNESSES ARE AS FILTHY RAGS;

#21     Jun 29, 2012
  2. Yes you should always better yourself in life by sticking to core principles of hard work and individual responsibility not by living in delusion that one can create utopia on earth.

One has to accept the nature and reality that governs life, that booms can turn into busts, busts into booms, coming together can result in separation and separation can also result in union, accumulation results in dispersion and dispersion results in accumulation. Happiness does not last forever, neither does sadness and depression. Ultimately all compounded things are impermanent and transient. Some people through their own actions even though they were born with a silver spoon will turn destitute, some will be rich regardless of their circumstances they were born in.

There is no perennial economic boom where everybody can get what they want, whenever they want and we can hold hands and sing Kumbaya all day long.

#22     Jun 29, 2012
  3. kids should never question what their churches tell them?

#23     Jun 29, 2012
  4. i pay my share of the bill.

#24     Jun 29, 2012
  5. You presume that they have actually READ the book that they profess.

You should know better.

#25     Jun 29, 2012
  6. Why should you limit what you pay to your share, you owe more because you have more, right?

#26     Jun 29, 2012
  7. you think its a waste of time to work to make things better on earth? i would hate to live with such a defeatist attitude.

#27     Jun 29, 2012
  8. Yannis

Yannis

Back in my UVA days, I went to a Bach music concert with a fellow grad student. Predictably, I enjoyed the spectacular music while he was busy building thought models how music enters our brain and affects us hormonically. He was doing similar things all over the place: two girlfriends dumped him because "he was thinking too much" his yearbook had him as "the most likely to argue", and he routinely tried to eat pizza while explaining to the rest of the gang the relationship between food and microbiology. Good guy, totally lost in a parallel universe where logic and only logic exists and runs the place.

You go to a concert to enjoy the music, you go out with a girl to have fun, you fall in love without caring why/how it happened, you eat your ^^%%$$ slice of pizza without "questioning" it at the same time.

You go to church to pray, listen to suggestions that help you be a better person, meet others with similar beliefs and likes/dislikes. The operative value here is a key human ability to have faith and develop it further. It's good for you, helps you grow and develop your full potential.

#28     Jun 29, 2012
  9. yes. when i have a good year income wise i pay more. when i have a bad year i pay less. sounds very fair to me.

#29     Jun 29, 2012
  10. when you pray do you think it usefull to know if what you are praying to exists?

#30     Jun 29, 2012