Republicans/Libertarians - dead wrong on education

Discussion in 'Politics' started by dddooo, Jul 15, 2006.

1. pattersb

pattersb Guest

Good Call Pabst.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/content/public/articles/000/000/011/961ttgjb.asp

(The guy who basically started the movement ... the link fades in and out ... Michael Joyce)

The studies I've read must have been sonspered by the teachers union. (Or outdated) You think a wolf backed into a corner will act vicious, just try to take on the teacher's union.

I think these types of programs are the only thing that can improve the education of "troubled" spots. Public schools are almost entirely run by radical leftists in these areas ...
    (By assumption ...)

#11     Jul 16, 2006
  2. You forgot to mention that under the voucher system, the school should have the absolute right to send away that segment of the students requiring metal detectors and police intervention.

#12     Jul 16, 2006
  3. pattersb

pattersb Guest

... and the members of the black community are nearly universally in favor of the voucher system. Except of course, those with ties to the public school systems.

#13     Jul 16, 2006
  4. jeafl

jeafl

I have taught at several Christian academies here in Florida, both non-profit and for-profit. You couldn’t pay me to put a kid in such a school. Florida has a taxpayer supported scholarship program for anyone who has spent at least a year in public school and has been labeled as learning disabled. The scholarship is based on the amount of money the local public school system would appropriate for the student- the greater the “disability” the greater the scholarship. So there is no rich kid advantage.

There’s no education either. Christian schools here generally use old textbooks (ACE, A Beka and Bob Jones are the favorites- all inaccurate, too easy and often out of date even when new). These schools generally do not have libraries, which doesn’t matter because few of the students can actually read- much less read at the grade level appropriate for their age. If they offer a math course like Algebra II, it is not until grade 12 (when that course is grade 8 or 9 in public schools). Homework on Wednesday is forbidden in all Christian schools and some Christian schools forbid homework period. At my last teaching job students could not take school books home with them and I was given 2 sets of class textbooks to teach science for grades 7-12.

Christian schools here are simply babysitting services for students with ADD, which means adults didn’t discipline. I use to support vouchers, but I don't anymore.

#14     Jul 28, 2006
  5. Of course jeafl, a voucher system would feel rather awkward for a guy like you. :D

#15     Jul 28, 2006
  6. Public, private, blah blah blah.

The quality of the 'school' (what, buildings? textbooks? teachers?) isnt' remotely as important as the quality of the students.

Some kids are essentially unteachable. It would take a superhuman effort - such that not one in a thousand teachers could muster - to impart the finer points of algebra to a 75IQ dimwit.

'Urban' school populations conist to a very large degree of precisely such unteachables. Any discussion of school performance that neglects or dismisses this most important consideration isn't worth the effort of discussing. Until America admits this is the case, it's going to keep bumbling along in the dark while, because of ongoing mass third-world immigration, the problems continue to mount. Count on it.

In this sense, all mainstream educationists, both left and right, are 'dead wrong on education'.

#16     Jul 28, 2006
  7. Completely agree, with one caveat. I think the problem is with the parents. If the parents don't do their job, there is no way the kids are going to learn. Our society puts too little value on learning and too much value on playing. Yes, a good football play can make millions. But when was the last time you heard a rape committed by a spellingbee champion?

#17     Jul 28, 2006
  8. Arnie

Arnie

That's great news! Now maybe the libs will shut about how we don't spend enough on education. After all, some of those private schools are VERY expensive. :D

#18     Jul 28, 2006
  9. Parenting is very important, I agree. Unfortunately, it does still come down to a person's inherent potential, too.

dddooo will have a fit when he sees me introducing this point into yet another thread, but damn it, doo, it's important: Poor white children routinely outperform black children from well to do households. This baffles liberals, but the reason is that whites simply have more inherent potential.

#19     Jul 28, 2006
  10. The research compares apples to apples i.e. good students in public schools to good students in private schools etc. While it goes without saying that a good motivated student will do just fine even if he/she is home-schooled, it has nothing to do with this thread which is discussisng whether private schools provide any more educational benefits than comparable public schools.

#20     Jul 28, 2006