Republicans are a stupid bunch.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Mar 2, 2011.

1. true but that is not a purely democrat issue. george bush doubled the child tax credit that knocked a lot of low income taxpayers off the roles.

#31     Mar 2, 2011
  2. bone

bone

The original premise by the OP and his ilk is that somehow the Democratic Party holds the moral high ground on tax code compliance and enforcement. To wit, look at the title of this thread.

The other absurd arguement is that IRS enforcement action will yield a constant ROI in terms of the number of agents hired. BS. Fix the tax code and close the corporate and personal deduction loopholes if you want sustained improvement in tax revenues collected.

#32     Mar 2, 2011
  3. well try thinking a little bit. the democrats want to increase funding because enforcement has yielded results. republicans want to gut the irs because it will help them kill the healthcare plan. what road are they on?

"Republicans, however, view the IRS as an ideal target in their promise to reduce government spending, in part because the agency will play a big role in implementing Obama's new health care law. "

#33     Mar 2, 2011
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Hey liberals (vhehn), answer me this. Why is that you left wing folks hate the police, military and authority in general because it reminds you of fascism, yet you embrace the IRS, probably the most authoritarian part of our government and the most fascist. Any of you nice left wing folks want to take a crack at that?

#34     Mar 2, 2011
  5. hey maverick. i hope you trade better than you analyze people. dont hate the police. they have a thankless but necessary job. dont hate the military. they are necessary for protection of the homeland. some authority is necessary for a society to function. could you be any more wrong?

#35     Mar 2, 2011
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

Vhehn, maybe you feel that way but most liberals I know despise the military and police. I posted a video of a decorated Iraqi vet getting heckled at Columbia University. And I've never met a liberal that likes the police. I'll take your word for it that you respect them, but no way can you make the argument that liberals in general feel that way.

#36     Mar 2, 2011
  7. bone

bone

#37     Mar 2, 2011
  8. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

ah statistics. they do wonders for propaganda.

- from the article you quoted.

so that 10 percent increase should amount to a 125 billion revenue increase for the federal government, based on the 10 to 1 return rate you quoted in your OP.

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfacts/displayafact.cfm?Docid=200

oops. considerably less. so much for that statistic.

oh, so the issue isn't really getting more money, but hiring more agents to enforce the health care law - something the GOP (and the public) feel negatively about. hmm, that's interesting.

now let's be frank - the issue isn't that the GOP is against the IRS because of some fictitious statistic. the issue is the GOP is against more taxation, and the health care law - which is what is driving the so-called increase here. another neatly omitted cost of healthcare that wasn't put into the total costs of the plan submitted to the CBO in the first place. shocker, that.

and if you REALLY want to focus on fixing the people skirting through on loopholes or avoiding taxes, etc., then simplify the friggen tax code in the first place to something consumption based. then you get everyone - criminals, tax evaders, cash only businesses, etc. but no, let's just whine about the current system and think throwing more money at it solves the problem.

while we're at it, let's sink another 100B into the post office, the rail system and fannie/freddie. they work just about as well.

#38     Mar 2, 2011
    #39     Mar 2, 2011
  10. Are you kidding? The police and military are what protect normal people from sociopaths and crazy ideologues. But I repeat myself.

Perhaps the only liberals you know are the caricatures drawn up by FOX.

#40     Mar 2, 2011