Republicans and Corporate Greed

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

Damm, I just read this the other day. Makes my blood boil. Check it out.

Interesting read
    > > >
    > > > This is an interesting bit of information that you
    > > > don't hear much about
    > > > in the media ---
    > > >
    > > > a.. Enron's chairman did meet with the president
    > > > and the vice president
    > > > in the Oval Office.
    > > >
    > > > b.. Enron gave $420,000 to the president's party
    > > > over three years.
    > > >
    > > > c.. It donated $100,000 to the president's
    > > > inauguration festivities.
    > > >
    > > > d.. The Enron chairman stayed at the White House 11
    > > > times.
    > > >
    > > > e.. The corporation had access to the
    > > > administration at its highest
    > > > levels
    > > > and even enlisted the Commerce and State
    > > > Departments to grease deals for
    > > > it.
    > > >
    > > > f.. The taxpayer-supported Export-Import Bank
    > > > subsidized Enron for more
    > > > than
    > > > $600 million in just one transaction. Scandalous!!

2. Surprise!!! Surprise!!!

Like no one knows this president was carried to office by corporations to take care of their interests.

3. Enron played the political game and Ken Lay was a big Bush supporter. I am troubled by the seeming absence of aggressive prosecution of Enron execs, including Lay. Reminds me of the kind of sleaziness we had when Clinton was president and those illegal foreign contributions were never really prosecuted effectively. Say, wasn't Clnton president when the Ex-Im Bank provided that 600 mill benefit, which I am guessing was a loan guarantee for the "export" of a power plant to India.

I also am offended by the explanation that Lay, Ebbers and other CEO's give when the sh*t hits the fan. Invariably, it is some form of they were not really involved in day to day matters, etc and therefore are not responsible for accounting fraud or massive corruption. Funny, I didn't hear any of them saying how uninvolved they were when it came time to consider their compensation packages each year. Then it was how important it is to have strong, effective leadership that is properly incentivized. Guess they needed a couple of hundred million more to get them interested in the financials or the basic operations of their company.

4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Alright, well I thought more people would jump all over this but I guess it's a slow night. For all of you that assumed this was President Bush you would be wrong. The President this was referring to was indeed our beloved Bill Clinton. Hats off to AAA for getting close to figuring it out. Enron and Clinton were indeed in bed together. How does the old saying go, politics makes strange bedfellows? Anyway talk amongst yourselves.