Republican States Have The Best Public Schools In The Country, By A Long Shot

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JamesL, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Ricter

Ricter

I'm learning how well it pays to enter these claims, the basis for worry, into google and have a good look at the results. For example:

"Five Myths About U.S. Kids Outclassed by the Rest of the World"
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/19/AR2007011901360.html

But to be fair, please show me a list of the countries doing a much better job of educating their kids.

#11     Jul 23, 2011
  2. Mav88

Mav88

Didn't read too much of it but... it takes a liberal to think strong unions means good education for students. It takes a liberal to think dollars per student (most of which goes to the union people) is measure of compassion and performance.

The shocker is why is anyone shocked?

#12     Jul 23, 2011
  3. Ricter

Ricter

It takes a conservative to think that absence of strong unions means good education for students.

#13     Jul 23, 2011
  4. Mav88

Mav88

I live in a swing state so I see all sides at once. My town is very conservative and we get almost no outside help with the schools. We are right next to Dayton, OH who gets all kinds of state money for their schools, so much so that they spend the second highest per student on education in the area, much more than us.

Need I even say how much better the kids here do? Dayton consistently fails at at almost every measure of a school system. Of course the unions and liberals all rush to explain it away by saying how the kids are 'disadvantaged' and the solution is more money.

The real disadvantage here are the democrat politicians and their incompetent, self serving, and overpaid union lackeys. I agree with them that the kids are disadvantaged, for one thing there are a lot of blacks and their entire culture is hostile to education. To make the leap that more government programs and lots of money we don't have is going to motivate these kids to do something is the same old bankrupt set of ideas from the same old folks that haven't done anything productive their whole lives.

#14     Jul 23, 2011
  5. Mav88

Mav88

Universities don't have unions.

#15     Jul 23, 2011
  6. Ricter

Ricter

You are implying that there are other variables at work, besides, say, "unionization rate"?

#16     Jul 23, 2011
  7. Mav88

Mav88

I am implying that any organization must be able to get rid of underperformers in order to have excellence. Unions prevent that in public schools, as well as make the price higher.

The best universities demand excellence from professors and will let go of underperformers. American universities are highly regarded in the world.

#17     Jul 23, 2011
  8. Max E.

Max E.

This article is a fluff piece. I was in university only 7 years ago, and i can tell you with first hand knowledge that brown people, and asian people were always at the top of the class, and they drastically outperformed the typical Americans.

You should try to find the documentary "The Cartel" if you want to see how fucked up our education system is. Less than half of the students in a lot of states are "proficient" in math, or language arts, when they graduate, and many students read at less than a grade 8 level, but the teachers dont ever get fired due to tenure.

Any large business that isnt swapping out atleast 3-5% of the work force is being complacent, but when it comes to teachers with tenure, only about 1 in every couple thousand gets fired. You cant tell me that you can not find 1 out of every 20 people you see who are not competent enough to be in a certain position.

#18     Jul 23, 2011
  9. lol. just as i suspected. a wet behind the ears snotnosed kid.

#19     Jul 23, 2011
  10. Max E.

Max E.

LOL, you got me, im a snot nosed kid who has averaged mid six figures in the market every year over the last 5 years.

Care to compare trading statements old balls?

#20     Jul 23, 2011