Republican NASA chief appointed by Trump fully accepts dominant human role in global warming

Discussion in 'Politics' started by exGOPer, May 23, 2018.

1. exGOPer

exGOPer

NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine on Wednesday endorsed the findings of a major federal report — which reflects the wider scientific consensus — that human activities are the main driver of global warming.

Why it matters: Bridenstine's remarks before a Senate Appropriations panel make him the first top Trump administration official to publicly and fully agree that humans have been the dominant cause of warming.

The impact: His comments are also significant because NASA plays a leading role in federal climate monitoring and research.

• Bridenstine made similar comments at a NASA town hall last week, but those remarks stopped shy of fully acknowledging the dominant role of human-caused emissions.
    One level deeper: Bridenstine also endorsed a multi-agency federal report, largely written in the Obama years, but released in 2017, that strongly reaffirmed this consensus.

"The National Climate Assessment, that includes NASA, and it includes the Department of Energy, and it includes NOAA, has clearly stated that it is extremely likely . . . that human activity is the dominant cause of global warming, and I have no reason to doubt the science that comes from that."
    — Bridenstine in response to a question from Democratic Sen. Brian Schatz
    Asked if he agreed with the scientific consensus, backed by experts including NASA researchers, that humans are the leading cause of climate change, Bridenstine responded: "Yes."

In the past, Bridenstine has expressed skepticism of mainstream climate science, and on Wednesday he acknowledged that his views have evolved.

Go deeper: The Climate Science Special Report

James Frederick Bridenstine (born June 15, 1975) is an American politician and the administrator of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Bridenstine served as the United States Representative for Oklahoma's 1st congressional district, based in Tulsa from January 3, 2013 to April 23, 2018. He is a member of the Republican Party.

On September 1, 2017, President Donald Trump nominated Bridenstine to be the Administrator of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA); he was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on April 19, 2018. Bridenstine has served on the Committee on Science, Space and Technology during his time in Congress. He is the first elected official to serve as NASA Administrator.[1] His nomination drew controversy given his lack of formal qualifications in science or engineering, and his rejection of the scientific consensus on climate change.

2. LacesOut

LacesOut

Cool...just another guy with no science background going a hunch...
    the world is filled with them...

3. exGOPer

exGOPer

You kind of missed the first line of the article

" endorsed the findings of a major federal report"

It's clickable, let me know if you want a tutorial on how the mouse works.

Frederick Foresight likes this.
  4. LacesOut

LacesOut

Ooohhhhhh a government report.
    Those are never wrong.
    Good thing the IPCC isn’t government.
    Oh wait.

traderob likes this.
  5. exGOPer

exGOPer

You said and I quote "just another guy with no science background going a hunch..."

Turns out there was a giant report prepared and vetted by scientists and statisticians which is obviously not a hunch.

From a guy who can't read two lines, you sure have credibility to opine on scientific reports.

:rolleyes:

6. LacesOut

LacesOut

Welp I guess the science is settled NOW!!!!
    LOL

traderob likes this.
  7. exGOPer

exGOPer

Ask the Republican head of NASA appointed by dear leader

8. LacesOut

LacesOut

You mean...your new hero?
    Republican Democrat Marxist whatever.
    Wrong is wrong.

9. exGOPer

exGOPer

LOL, so now the Republican is a Marxist for embracing a scientific study that you are sure could be wrong without even going through it?

WTF is wrong with you?

10. LacesOut

LacesOut

Can you read?
    Did I call him a Marxist?

Translation for the weak minded Canuck: Political affiliation doesn’t matter - when you are wrong you are wrong.

Yes I’m sure it’s full of lies and poor science and failed models. Another government study telling us how we need to just pay them to stop our coming demise.

You leftists from Outside America love to gobble this shit up.

#10     May 23, 2018