Republican Mainstream Flirts with Brief US Default

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by nitro, Jun 8, 2011.

Is this a stunt to get attention or are these guys for real?

1. Yes. It is nothing more than sensationalism to get attention.

47 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. Oh, no, make no mistake, these guys are serious.

23 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. I don't know.

12 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. I don't care.

7 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. MKTrader

MKTrader

Run a surplus on a Ponzi scheme? Wow, how nice.

#51     Jul 18, 2011
  2. nitro

nitro

#52     Jul 19, 2011
  3. Great, another non-plan plan.

Just what we need...

#53     Jul 19, 2011
  4. nitro

nitro

#54     Jul 20, 2011
  5. achilles28

achilles28

I'm reminded of Never Cry Wolf. In recent years, DC's favorite political weapon has been the fear card. Iraq 1, 2, the war on terror, all grossly exaggerated. Greenspan and Bernacke assured us the economy was great while the Naz and housing imploded. Now, Washington has credibility problem. Americans won't buy anymore of their 'hype'. Thing is, this time, the wolf really is at the gates. If they don't raise that ceiling, this 30-year credit orgy will come to a speculator finish. Past the '08 lows. ~15% GDP contraction in real short time.... A severe Depression....The Republican house looks too fractured to get a bi-partisan bill through... I'd consider loading up on some DOTM spy puts now...

#55     Jul 20, 2011
  6. MKTrader

MKTrader

#56     Jul 20, 2011
  7. Lehman has already been forgotten. Dustbin of history, etc.

Let's roll...

#57     Jul 20, 2011
  8. GG1972

GG1972

Just remember it was fear mongering taht lead to bailout of banks and today we are no better situation with regards to too big to fail. Instead if the homeowners directly had been given some sort of loan that would have propped up the housing market to at least fair levels instead of the garbage you are seeing now.

Main street is always lead into beleiving that the folks in suits and ties are smarter than them whether its the banks, congress or wall street

#58     Jul 20, 2011
  9. nitro

nitro

#59     Jul 20, 2011
  10. achilles28

achilles28

I've said this before in other threads: in the event Congress doesn't raise the ceiling, the Federal Reserve can - and likely will - simply print the necessary currency into existence and transfer it to the respective Federal Department to maintain funding. They did it with QE1, 2, Maiden Lane etc (print money). No reason why they won't do it here. I don't advocate it as that would make Congress irrelevant, but given the severity of the fallout, I think it's likely we'll see some sort of "emergency intervention" by the Fed.

#60     Jul 21, 2011