Republican Mainstream Flirts with Brief US Default

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by nitro, Jun 8, 2011.

Is this a stunt to get attention or are these guys for real?

1. Yes. It is nothing more than sensationalism to get attention.

47 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. Oh, no, make no mistake, these guys are serious.

23 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. I don't know.

12 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. I don't care.

7 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. Arnie

Arnie

What's the alternative? More spending?

This guy makes some good points. If you're a trader maybe you've heard of him.......

[​IMG]

'People aren't going to wonder whether 20 years ago we delayed an interest payment for six days. They're going to wonder whether we got our house in order.'.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What If the U.S. Treasury Defaults?

By JAMES FREEMAN
    'A financial crisis is surely going to happen as big or bigger than the one we had in 2008 if we continue to behave the way we're behaving," says Stanley Druckenmiller, the legendary investor and onetime fund manager for George Soros. Is this another warning from Wall Street that Congress must immediately raise the federal debt limit to prevent the end of civilization?

No—Mr. Druckenmiller has heard enough of such "clamor and hyperbole." The grave danger he sees is that politicians might give the government authority to borrow beyond the current limit of $14.3 trillion without any conditions to control spending.

One of the world's most successful money managers, the lanky, sandy-haired Mr. Druckenmiller is so concerned about the government's ability to pay for its future obligations that he's willing to accept a temporary delay in the interest payments he's owed on his U.S. Treasury bonds—if the result is a Washington deal to restrain runaway entitlement costs.

"I think technical default would be horrible," he says from the 24th floor of his midtown Manhattan office, "but I don't think it's going to be the end of the world. It's not going to be catastrophic. What's going to be catastrophic is if we don't solve the real problem," meaning Washington's spending addiction.

Continued here:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703864204576317612323790964.html

#41     Jul 16, 2011
  2. RobtF

RobtF

Isn't this circular? Yes the Treasury can print money but it can only spend it as authorized by Congress.

#42     Jul 16, 2011
  3. RobtF

RobtF

With all due respect - Mr Druckenmiller will not be among those who suffer most when the SHTF.

No—Mr. Druckenmiller has heard enough of such "clamor and hyperbole." The grave danger he sees is that politicians might give the government authority to borrow beyond the current limit of $14.3 trillion without any conditions to control spending.

Obama offered a reasonable plan to reduce deficit by 4 trillion over 12 years but Republicans rejected it because it would close some tax loopholes. I do think we have a real problem when one political party is dogmatically intransigent. Let me guess, Druckenmiller favors no new taxes on the "job creators".

#43     Jul 16, 2011
  4. Look with the Bush tax cuts all federal debts will be paid off by 2011, we still have time for the Bush tax cuts to work, stop worrying. The Republicans crying we need a balanced budget amendment is silly, send me a term limits amendment, now that would work.

#44     Jul 16, 2011
  5. No, he didn't.

Neither did the GOP.

Neither did the Tea Party brigade.

Voters refuse to let services be cut, and the refuse to allow taxes to rise. Until they are backed into a corner - or until a significant leader emerges - nothing is going to change.

#45     Jul 16, 2011
  6. When did the USA turn into a 24hr circus show for the rest of the world?

How can you not be completely ashamed of being ruled by these people?

#46     Jul 16, 2011
  7. What about the reform of the IMS?

imsreform.org

How about everyone starts at zero again? Winner USA Loser China

#47     Jul 16, 2011
  8. I had a micro situation similar to this one. The party that owed me, had money but wanted to play a game and see if a payment plan could be reached. I stuck to my guns and low and behold the money came out. Certain people like to use a debt or a payment to another party as a bargaining chip in negoiations. It sets a precidence and any future dealings with these type of individuals will be marred forever. Trust and confidence is lost for eternity. Messing around like this will cause the Chinese to come in take over the show. I don't think the Republicans or Democrats wants this. The debt will be paid one way or another.The freshman congress is doing nothing more than stiring up the pot for 2012. A political win will prove to be a phyrric victory in the long run.

Akuma

#48     Jul 16, 2011
  9. nitro

nitro

#49     Jul 18, 2011
  10. ================
    Good points, Mr Dew, yes;
    however article 1 section 10, US Constitution ''no state shall make anything but silver & gold coin tender for debts'' So it sounds like Congress is trying to violate the Spirit of that law....

Also Congress should actually read what is written on Federal Reserve notes;
    ''this note legal tender for all debts, public & private''..........................signed[official signature]...Treasurer of United States
    :D

#50     Jul 18, 2011