republican? Ignorance Is Strength

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Oh ok, that is total nonsense. Got anything else?

#21     Mar 10, 2012
  2. rew

rew

It's not total nonsense. Continue to believe your fantasies. That's what leftists do best.

#22     Mar 10, 2012
  3. Lucrum

Lucrum

"Educated" especially these days doesn't mean intelligent.

#23     Mar 10, 2012
  4. You were the one who was going on about '' show me a professional jet pilot who doesn't have a GED/high school education'' So . . . .does your education mean shit ?

#24     Mar 10, 2012
  5. Education is done in cycles. We are taught basics in grade school. We are taught a very 'clean' version of history in Jr. High. Still the '1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue' kind of learning.

We get more into skills in high school, enough to hopefully get a job, write basic information down, that type of thing. Some even get advanced math in H.S. SMSG groups in Jr. high, on to calculus in H.S. for example. And, we learn a more revised version of history, and only basic Political Science.

In the first couple of years of college, we are asked to actually think a little bit more. Rules are relaxed, you don't 'have' to go to every class, you can monitor classes, learn what you want to learn. You have the ability to ask hard questions, make up your own mind about history. And today, with all the information readily available, the learning is much more robust and a lot of fun.

Some go straight through all this, some go back to college or University. Some really challenge the old provincial ideals, some just slide along hoping to put into some career based on their credentials or family name. Many, if not most, have learned enough to know they need to know more, go into an MBA program, or become Doctors, Lawyers, or go into other professional venture.

At that level they can communicate well, get along, not just get by. They have been exposed to a lot during their academic ventures. THEY STILL NEED to actually get to work, somewhere. Many have worked the whole time, I know I did. This is where they can decide to be entrepreneurs and start businesses, and really 'find' their calling.

Of course there are many variables involved, but for most, leaving home and going to University is where so many new ideas are shown, and minds tend to broaden and open up.

c

#25     Mar 10, 2012
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

My statement merely pointed out that education and intelligence are two different and separate things, moron.

#26     Mar 10, 2012
  7. Of course they are. Intelligence is like having a real strong computer, plenty of memory, really fast dual core processors and all that. Education is the programming portion of the computer, we have all been educated, and many as in my above post, while many simply pick up information from random sources as they develop.

c

#27     Mar 10, 2012
  8. Max E.

Max E.

In terms of your above post, i really think it depends on what you are going to do, as to whether or not it is worth it to go to university. If you want to become an entrprenur i would say that it is detrimental going to university.

There is nothing you can learn there that you cant learn over the internet these days, and starting out life that much in debt slows you down alot. It also depends on whether or not you can learn independently, and you enjoy it, or if you have to force yourself to learn with some sort of rigid curriculum. Other degrees like sociology degrees are pretty much a waste of money as well.

Obviously to become a doctor or lawyer, you have to get a degree, and most technical degrees are worth it because they are much cheaper, and they are much more specific to what you want to do.

I may as well light my Commerce degree on fire, because it has served me almost no purpose as a trader. I lrearned how to read financial statements, and some economics stuff, but its nothing you couldnt learn on your own from being on the internet all day anyways since you are stuck in front of a computer.

I can honestly say that not only was my degree a waste of time it was actually a huge hindrance, I was more focused on school when i first started trading, plus i had to pay for it. If i would have focused more on trading at the time, i would have been in a better position to profit at two major times in my life.

When i first started we figured out an arbitrage opportunity, but i hadnt been trading long enough, and simply didnt have the risk parameters in order to fully take advantage of it, in the way that many other guys within my firm did, so while they ended up making astronomical sums of money off of this edge that eventually died, i was only getting to their level at the very end when it was dying out.

Then in 2008, when the market was falling apart, i simply didnt have enough cash to fully take advantage of the situation like alot of other guys i know who had traded for much longer did. While they were having their first ever 7 figure years, and some of them well into the mid 7 figures, i didnt have the cash to do the same kinds of things they were doing in terms of overnight trades. Having an extra couple hundred thousand at that point in my life would have been huge, due to the fact that there was 2 once in a lifetime expereicnes in my trading career, i can honestly say that my university degree will easily cost me 7 figures, over the course of my life from not being properly positioned at 2 very key moments.

If i could take it all back i really wish i would have went into some heavy computer training instead of going to university, as the ability to program, and automate stuff would be far more beneficial to what i do now. As it is im stuck mostly using shitty tools i can subscribe to, and its tough to learn how to program. Most of the top traders i know who are killing it in this market are computer geniuses.

#28     Mar 10, 2012
  9. Makes sense, and trading is a bit of a phenomenon, and although doesn't require a degree or anything, we are part of a rare crowd. Those who actually have made a living from trading. How many parents would say 'ok, we'll give you $50k to trade with in lieu of going to University' - not many. I didn't have to pay back any money, was able to work during school years, paid for it myself. Some help from parents.

My point is simply that most, not everyone, experiences their first time away from the nest either in college or the military. I prefer my kids went to college over the military, but that was up to them of course. The more information in, when digested without guilt or dispersion, the better IMO.

I'm glad to know you have always traded, good for you.

I was surprised when I noticed that so many on the P&R board are not really traders, or just 'for fun' type traders, holding various jobs. Not a big deal, just found it interesting.

I hope you get those 7 figure years soon, if you haven't already.

c

#29     Mar 10, 2012
  10. Max, these things come once every decade or so, don't sweat it. In the meantime, stack those pennies, and it is very good to see that some here do actually trade.

#30     Mar 10, 2012