republican? Ignorance Is Strength

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Well look, you can't blame the right for not liking education. When you get educated you find out about stuff like evolution. Which as we now must be impossible because God made us in 6 days. Thus education, and especially science, is looked at with suspicion. As is anyone smarter than they are. There is a strong anti-intellectual sentiment within the republican party because the intellectuals tell them their religion is mostly hogwash.

#11     Mar 9, 2012
  2. I don't think Free Thinker is a non-native English speaker. I wouldn't get on someone if I knew their English is their 2nd language, like say Sameeh for instance (or bearice). But Free Thinker is a product of the public school system. He rants about how uneducated the right is, but when he posts (if he isn't copying & pasting) its always full of so many errors. Look at the title. He wrote 4 words and there are 5 errors! Not really "minor" errors if you ask me. It's the writing of someone either not educated or very very lazy.

(Speaking of which, you could be multi-lingual if you wanted, you are just too lazy to learn.)

Sorry, but you sort of asked for that one. :)

#12     Mar 9, 2012
  3. Exactly

What's more the student loan bubble is somewhere between750 billion and 1 trillion dollars.

If our young adults are not crippled by inflation they most certainly are mortgaging their future for that worthless liberal brainwashing experiment called college.

#13     Mar 9, 2012
  4. I'm sorry but some of the real reasons conservatives dislike "intellectuals" is because too many spend all their time presenting their beliefs as facts ( and demand compliance), pretend they know how we should live in every aspect of our lives (whilst they are exempt) . Furthermore, quite frankly a lot of so called experts are just so wrong it's goofy (for example tooth fairy economists like klugman think the solution to a problem is ... wait for it more of what they claim was the cause) .

#14     Mar 9, 2012
  5. That COULD be a reason the conservatives dislike smart people but I suspect this might also have something to do with it.

"The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which the unskilled suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes.[1]

Actual competence may weaken self-confidence, as competent individuals may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. As Kruger and Dunning conclude, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others" (p. 1127).[2]"

Calling experts wrong is one the main symptoms of the DK effect. As if they think they are competent to judge them.

#15     Mar 9, 2012
  6. More tripe. Why not address the real problem here instead of side-stepping it with this horseshit that anyone who isn't a leftist fruitcake must be anti-intellectual?

I recently "did the math" on the actual cost of attending my alma mater (tuition/room/board is roughly $55,000 per year now). When you consider that college students are on campus approximately 7 1/2 months per year, it works out to about $1800 per week to attend college.

Meanwhile, all of these leftist "educators" that lecture about the evils of capitalism cry foul if they can't get their guaranteed COLA raises, generous pensions, 50million dollar campus additions, etc, etc...They could care less that the students graduate with 50-100k student loan balances. Of course most of them could work summers and pay for college back in the 70s and 80s.

#16     Mar 9, 2012
  7. I did not say every non-leftist is anti intellectual.

And do you know why the educators are liberals?........... Because they're educated.

#17     Mar 9, 2012
  8. rew

rew

No, most educators are liberal because they are sucking at the tit of the state. Also, because many of our campuses are so far to the left that conservatives find a hostile work environment there, so choose other occupations. I recall a professor saying that he was told he wouldn't have been hired had they known he was a Republican.

#18     Mar 9, 2012
  9. Perhaps, but it hasn't been my experience that conservatives have been those "suffer(ing) from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average." it's been those steeped in the self congratulatory incestuousness of academic pseudo-science and it's laurels that have demonstrated that behavoir.

#19     Mar 9, 2012
  10. Is there something specific about academia that has you so critical of it? Or of experts that you feel is wrong?

#20     Mar 10, 2012