republican? Ignorance Is Strength

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Mar 9, 2012.

1. One way in which Americans have always been exceptional has been in our support for education. First we took the lead in universal primary education; then the “high school movement” made us the first nation to embrace widespread secondary education. And after World War II, public support, including the G.I. Bill and a huge expansion of public universities, helped large numbers of Americans to get college degrees.

But now one of our two major political parties has taken a hard right turn against education, or at least against education that working Americans can afford. Remarkably, this new hostility to education is shared by the social conservative and economic conservative wings of the Republican coalition, now embodied in the persons of Rick Santorum and Mitt Romney.

And this comes at a time when American education is already in deep trouble.

About that hostility: Mr. Santorum made headlines by declaring that President Obama wants to expand college enrollment because colleges are “indoctrination mills” that destroy religious faith.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/09/opinion/krugman-ignorance-is-strength.html?_r=1

2. Mr. Santorum has made several gaffe's - this is one of the weirdest ones. To say that our long history of great education, esteemed Universities, best in the world, where Princes and leaders from around the world have studied, is somehow some conspiracy to educate leftists? I guess Reagan and Bush were bad students, they went to local and Ivy League schools, one each, and didn't seem to become radial lefties.

Is Mr. S trying to cajole the old stereotype of 'well, Mr. xxx never finished high school, and look how well he's done' banter. Proven that education is vital in life for success. Of course there are exceptions, and many educate themselves in time, but University produces Dr.s, lawyers, philosophers, IT experts, all that. And, give most a better world view. IMO

Caveat: Many of my R friends are very intelligent and well educated. I do not agree with the connotation that R's are ignorant.

c

3. Wrong thread I know, but the word conspiracy comes up, I can't keep from thinking how great a futurist or prognosticator his parents must have been to put together all this birth certificate hoax nearly 50 years ago. Has anyone ever explained how they did that, or really, why they did it way back then. Oh well, off topic, sorry.

Anyway, great trading day, yea!

c

4. rew

rew

Leave it to Free Thinker to post a link to an editorial by the dumbest Nobel Prize winning economist ever, Paul Krugman. He's the guy that thinks we're not getting into debt fast enough. The government subsidizes college education, with the result that the cost of such education has been growing faster than inflation for decades. The government subsidizes health care, with the result that health care costs have grown faster than inflation for decades and are breaking the back of the economy. Whatever the government subsidizes gets more expensive because people hike up their prices to take advantage of all that "free" money. How dare Romney suggest that the people who benefit from a college education pay for it themselves! That's certainly heresy to the Democrats.

5. Those darn dumb Nobel prize winners, how dare they. I would prefer my taxes, income, property, and otherwise, be spent on education than the many corporate 'entitlements' such as agriculture welfare to Con-Ag, un-needed wars, and the rest.

You know that half the Country relies on 'Gov't healthcare' the right way, via bypassing the health insurance companies. Medicare, Military, state an local workers, and all the rest. Why not just add the rest, get rid of some of the infested corporate nonsense in so many healthcare companies? Obama DID NOT do it well, he compromised way too much IMO. Still a good idea.

c

6. rew

rew

Where did I ever come out in favor of corporate welfare and unnecessary wars? Ron Paul is my man, hated by both the left and the neocons. In case it has escaped your attention state and local government worker health care, along with state and local government worker pensions, are destroying the city and state budgets right now. We could bring the collapse about more rapidly if we just included everybody.

I don't have much of a quarrel with most Nobel Prize winning economists, but Paul Krugman, darling of the New York Times, is in a special category of his own. If he ever makes sense it's by accident.

7. Lucrum

Lucrum

Mostly because of the federal governments involvement, well that and teachers unions.

8. Why did you lower case republican, but capitalize "ignorance is strength". Didn't you go to elementary school where they teach you when and when not to capitalize words?

And whats the question mark for? Are you asking a question?

If you are such a big believer in education, why do you write like you do not have one?

9. 'Why did you lower case republican'

and you're asking, not 'your' or the thousand other errors made on this site daily, about someone else's education. I rarely criticize the typing skills or grammar of others, but you opened this one up.

Sorry Mr. Peil, but you sort of asked for this one.

Many are not native English speakers, I applaud them for doing something I cannot do, be multilingual.

Let's rally with communication, not point out minor errors here.

c

10. rew

rew

I'm with cgroupman on this one. I've made enough stupid typos of my own that I'm not going to cast the first stone.

#10     Mar 9, 2012