Republican Family Values: Tennessee Republicans Kill Bill Banning Child Marriage

Discussion in 'Politics' started by exGOPer, Mar 8, 2018.

1. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Nearly all of these states are controlled by Democrats. Why does Massachusetts have such absurd child marriage laws that people compare them to the Taliban.

#21     Mar 8, 2018
  2. exGOPer

exGOPer

So? You didn't just link to Golden Globes and the Oscars, you linked to awards in Europe where Polanski is now.

And you completely ignored the Oldman point, if the academy was giving awards based on political ideology then why did they award conservative wife beater Oldman?

And what the fuck was the liberal talking point? You bring up a dumb retarded deflection and then resort to your bullshit one liners. If Polanski is my hero, then go around confessing how Jerry Sandusky and Ted Bundy are your idols.

#22     Mar 8, 2018
  3. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Why don't you take a look at the child marriage laws in Massachusetts and explain how they are different than the Taliban. Or take a good look at the crisis in child marriages in California.

The situation in other states -- especially Democratic states -- is much worse than the problem in Tennessee. The reality is that this issue needs to be solved from a national level by setting the minimum age for marriage to 18 country-wide.

#23     Mar 8, 2018
  4. exGOPer

exGOPer

Did Democrats in those states block a child marriage ban? If not then why should I care? There are more Republicans in California than Alabama and Tennesse combined, what makes you think all of the problems in California are because of Dems?

#24     Mar 8, 2018
  5. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

So you are telling me that deep blue states with Democratic majorities cannot change their child marriage laws. Nice re-direction. Maybe these states need to address their issue. The point being this is a national issue, not a blue vs. red state issue. California has more child marriages in the past decade than any other state.

#25     Mar 8, 2018
    traderob likes this.
  6. Teams again.

I believe a court order is also required in California? This could block the number of actual marriages to near zero.

From Findlaw:

"State laws regulating age limits for marriage are generally similar, although California is one of just a few states lacking a minimum age for marriage. However, minors (under the age of 18) must obtain both parental consent and a court order before they may legally tie the knot."

Hell, it could be the same in Tennessee. Blocking reform for very unsound reasons is nothing to be proud of. It is bizarre that the ACLU were active in the Cali case recently to stop it.

However... all child marriage is based on religious fundamentalism and that is a conservative bag.

#26     Mar 8, 2018
  7. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Actually liberal organizations have supported child marriage in the U.S. to support Muslim immigrant populations and practices. We must not discriminate against the traditional practices of our immigrants according to the liberal press and courts decisions by left-leaning judges in Massachusetts, Maine, Michigan, and California.

Muslim child brides have a particularly difficult time in America
    https://hotair.com/archives/2017/06/07/muslim-child-brides-particularly-difficult-time-america/

We continue to wrestle with the sticky question of minimum age for marriage around the United States and the implications it has for children, particularly young girls. The minimum age debate is still best left to the individual states in my opinion, but in too many places there are safeguards missing. A story from Time Magazine this week highlights how open to abuse the system can be, particularly in certain communities where religious “traditions” leave girls open to potential exploitation. They feature the story of a young Muslim girl in California identified by only her first and middle names, Sara Tasneem. She was “married” off by her father at the age of 15 to a 28 year old man she had never met before and turned over to him with virtually no notice.

(More at above url)

More from Time magazine - http://time.com/4807611/us-child-marriage-survivor-story/

Europe is facing the same Muslim immigrant issue -
    Migrant child brides put Europe in a spin
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37518289

#27     Mar 8, 2018
  8. There are extreme loonies on both sides, a liberal who meaningfully supports child marriage out of respect for tradition is... very confused. I would expect those were pragmatic (maybe flawed) choices on the basis of least harm, but who knows.

Most Muslims to be fair disapprove but Islam is full of sects, as is Judaism and Christianity. A friend is a Rabbi who teaches kabbala ("real" not "Madonna's BS"). This is total BS to other Jews and he recons the Zionists are spitting in God's face though his kids study in Israel..

Islam is a low grade bag of shite, boring when not far too exciting. You can live happily around Muslim neighbors as many are very secular anyway.

I've lived around secular Muslims, Jews and Christians in London. They are peaceful with each other for the most part, surprisingly so. Fundamentalist iteralist, in-the-old-days anythings however are bad news.

I nearly got chopped up with machetes by good Christians (on any other day) once in Africa. I nearly threw a scientologist fool off a balcony as he was trying to use insidious pressure to get me to sell something. He was on a mission to please that whore son David Miscarriage and fucked with the wrong science fiction fan. Asimov rules.

The fringe nutters are just that and they will always bring trouble.

Only people I generally trust not to go all Jekyll and hide on you are the Buddhists. Once you know them for a year, them getting militant is very rational.

I'm very tired... I need to watch Jessica Jones new season. :)

#28     Mar 8, 2018
  9. fhl

fhl

If anyone needs protection, it's young boys from queers.

#29     Mar 8, 2018
  10. The crowd that supports a man in the ladies bathroom just so long as the dude is wearing a dress, isn't exactly in a strong position to debate moral values.

#30     Mar 8, 2018