Republican debate 10-11

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bigarrow, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

I don't know which kingmakers you are referring to, but no one in the establishment is supporting this guy. That's kind of like why people like him.

#11     Oct 12, 2011
  2. I find this comment to be incredibly naive. If you watched the debates last night, and judging by your comments you did, it was clearly designed to sell Cain as the front runner. Romney had almost as little time to talk as Paul did and appears to have been cast aside. And it doesn't take long for that type of friendly set up to garner results:

http://www.zogby.com/news/2011/10/0...xpands-lead-over-gop-field-leads-obama-46-44/

Obviously the debate did not affect this latest poll, but what did was the corporate media's recent narrative of "oh my gosh! Cain won a straw poll. Then he came in second to Ron Paul at the Value voters summit but we all know Ron Paul cheats to win those things so let's talk about Cain!"

When Ron Paul wins straw polls it is dismissed. Cain wins one and he's a front runner. Those are the kingmakers I am referring to.

Do you really not see this?

#12     Oct 12, 2011
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

I'll tell you what. Tell me how much money you want to bet, I'll take the other side that Cain will NOT get the nomination. No one is taking this guy seriously. Look DAS, you seem like a smart guy. The media has a vested interest in trying to make money and no one is going to make money talking about Romney. The money is made by putting people like Palin, Bachmann, Trump and Cain in the spotlight because they make for better TV. So if by kingmakers, you mean the media, then yes, I agree with you. But if kingmakers you mean the "powers that be" then no, I disagree with you.

Cain is a blast to watch in the debates and the camera loves him. This is why he gets a lot of air time. Same is true with Palin. She walks into a room and everyone leaves Romney and runs over to her. Come January you will never hear Cain's name mentioned again.

#13     Oct 12, 2011
  4. That is really surprising statement. We already have politicians everywhere and how's that working ?
    We need some principled politicians but there is a problem, they are by default just bunch of corrupted crooks.
    Just throw them out and vote business people in. These career politicians together with their incumbent parties will fuck up everything again and again .

#14     Oct 12, 2011
  5. Max E.

Max E.

I knew that he had no chance, his biggest problem is that he is a terrible debater, like when Lawrence Odonnell steam rolled him the other day there was so many different ways he could have answered the questions. The thing is even though we say we dont want a politician we still want someone who is a smooth talker to some extent.

That was why Christie was so popular, because he was excellent in debate settings, and he was smooth, but he didnt come across like it was all rehearsed it always seemed like it straight talk, not political speak.

#15     Oct 12, 2011
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

I know it sounds great on paper but Washington doesn't work that way. I'm all for businessmen but historically they have made terrible politicians. When Cain gives interviews on foreign policy, it's actually pretty scary.

#16     Oct 12, 2011
  7. I'm not sure that I intimated he would get the nomination. In fact, after his prevarication I rather doubt he will. However, that has not stopped the corporate media from attempting to prop him up. This is what I am calling out; the media is unelected and unregulated and they have the power to sway political opinion. You want to know why the populace is so dumbed down? That's why.

Also, while I will agree with you that the media is in it for the money, that is not the ONLY reason they are in it. When it comes to elections, they are in it to influence. During the interim sure, they wheel out Palin or crazy eyes Bachmann to cause a stir, but during the actual process, which is what we are in now, they attempt to influence.

I am sick and ******* tired of the corporate media's influence on our election process and the lying pizza boy's ascension to frontrunner status, however temporary it may be, is but the latest example in a long line of examples. They push people on us who won't better our lives, and they deny us the people who would. If that doesn't piss you off then you need to check your pulse.

Comment: forgive the tone, it is not directed at you.

#17     Oct 12, 2011
  8. Ricter

Ricter

We know that those at the top of government, business, and the media (to name just three) are all 1%'rs, so I think it's a bit misleading to think of them as vastly different. I think they're all pretty similar but with somewhat different methods. When they get bored, they change methods, ie. they move through the revolving door into a top position in a different institution.

#18     Oct 12, 2011
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

No, it doesn't piss me off. The media is in it for the money. Give them the old razzle and dazzle as the song goes. If the media is guilty of anything, it's turning the election process into American Idol. They are trying to create drama where there is none. Just watch the debates. It's funny how they pit two people against each other and say, hey, so and so called you this the other day, what do you say about that. Trying to start a fight. It does make for good TV because quite frankly that is the only reason most people watch these things is to see a fight.

I mean come on DAS. So explain to me Donald Trump. This guy is the reality tv hall of famer. Look at how the media followed him all over the place. Now you are not seriously telling me that Trump had a chance? Or that the media was seriously trying to wield their magical powers to get him elected. They wanted the ratings!

DAS, I think you said you were 39 years old. Did you ever see the movie "The Quiz Show"? Fantastic movie, was nominated for on oscar. It was based on the 1955 quiz show scandal that involved NBC and Geritol. It was a great movie that showed how the media works behind the scenes. Great flick. Check it out.

#19     Oct 12, 2011
  10. Different heads of the same monster to be sure. And the thing is, I probably wouldn't mind it so much except for the mess they've made of it. The process needs to be returned to the people, if for no other reason, they suck at it.

Exhibit A: Barack Hussein Obama.

#20     Oct 12, 2011