republican Alan Simpson Slams Fellow Republicans For Unwillingness To Compromise

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, May 29, 2012.

1. repblicans are the problem:

"You can’t cut spending your way out of this hole," Simpson, who was appointed as co-chair of President Obama's Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform in 2010, said. "You can’t grow your way out of this hole, and you can’t tax your way out of this hole. So put that in your pipe and smoke it, we tell these people. This is madness."

Simpson continued: "If you want to be a purist, go somewhere on a mountaintop and praise the east or something. But if you want to be in politics, you learn to compromise. And you learn to compromise on the issue without compromising yourself. Show me a guy who won’t compromise and I’ll show you a guy with rock for brains."

During the interview Sunday, he expressed frustration with his party's focus on social issues, as well as the ability of outspoken figures like Americans for Tax Reform head Grover Norquist to drive the conversation.

"I guess I'm known as a RINO now, which means a Republican in name only, because, I guess, of social views, perhaps, or common sense would be another one, which seems to escape members of our party," Simpson said. "For heaven’s sake, you have Grover Norquist wandering the earth in his white robes saying that if you raise taxes one penny, he’ll defeat you. He can’t murder you. He can’t burn your house. The only thing he can do to you, as an elected official, is defeat you for reelection. And if that means more to you than your country when we need patriots to come out in a situation when we’re in extremity, you shouldn’t even be in Congress."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/27/alan-simpson-republicans_n_1549604.html

2. Compromise.

Liberal code word for "shut to the fuck up and do what we want."

3. Mercor

Mercor

Been down this road before with both sides. Taxes raised in promise of spending cuts. never happens

3 steps:
    1) lock in spending cuts
    2) remove tax breaks
    3) raise necessary taxes.

This would get bipartisan support

4. but the republicans have promised and signed pledges to never raise another tax or remove corporate perks. so now you want the other side to trust them to do whats right when the time comes?

as i said. republicans are the problem.

5. Obama is never the problem, he can do no wrong. He is our savior, our light and our life.

6. What did the democrats do about this during the first 2 1/2 years of Obama's term, when they had 100% control and needed not one vote from any obstructionist republicans?

7. ever heard of a filibuster?
    GOP Filibuster Record: Republicans Using Obstruction Tool With Astonishing Frequency

WASHINGTON — The filibuster – tool of obstruction in the U.S. Senate – is alternately blamed and praised for wilting President Barack Obama's ambitious agenda. Some even say it's made the nation ungovernable.

Maybe, maybe not. Obama's term still has three years to run.

More certain, however: Opposition Republicans are using the delaying tactic at a record-setting pace.

8. obama has offered to do a balanced cutting of the budget many times.

9. Brass

Brass

I doubt it, since I doubt FOX mentioned it. So how could ET's Right possibly know?

10. So the democrats never had a filibuster proof majority?

#10     May 29, 2012