Republican 2012 candidates on Egypt: nothing

Discussion in 'Politics' started by trefoil, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

You know not everyone who disagrees with you is a liberal. If phenomena is a liberal; you're probably a homo. :eek: :)

#11     Feb 3, 2011
  2. Yea, you would know, eh? [​IMG]

#12     Feb 3, 2011
  3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

this is probably going to get me in a little hot water with my fellow conservatives here, but phenom's comment above made me think of it.

i watch hannity often. last night, he actually had a radical imam on. not sure if any of you saw it. but his question that he was hammering into the guy (it was more of a shouting match than anything else) was whether or not the imam believed that killing over 3000 innocents in 9/11 allowed the jihad killers to go to heaven and get their 72 virgins, etc. the imam refused to answer, but shot back repeatedly about how many innocent arabs and muslims were killed by the us wars in iraq and by israel's encroachment into palestine. he said he would answer hannity's question if hannity would answer his. hannity told him when he got his own talk show and had hannity on, hannity would gladly answer his questions.

in a rare moment, i found myself not agreeing with hannity. it was a valid question. what gives the us the right to invade countries in the "name of democracy" and kill so many innocents, declaring it legal because it is part of war? those who committed 9/11 did not attack military targets, but they did attack an economic target.

make no mistake, i abhor violence against innocent individuals regardless of the motivation, and 9/11 was a dreadfully horrific act that should never have been committed. but clearly these arab/muslim groups have no ability to challenge the united states to open conflict on the field of battle. they have to resort to the tactics that they are capable of executing.

but this does not excuse us of the many innocents we have murdered in the name of "righteous war".

just my thoughts.

#13     Feb 3, 2011
  4. Ricter

Ricter

My first thought and question is, do you believe the US is actually conducting its "invasions" primarily to spread democracy, or primarily to protect (and expand) its supply chains?

#14     Feb 3, 2011
  5. Banjo

Banjo

#15     Feb 3, 2011
  6. olias

olias

#16     Feb 3, 2011
  7. Bush Sr. and others have said that, any threat to the free flow of
    oil imports, the restriction of which would threaten "our way of life", would be met with whatever was needed to return it to normal. America may be able to turn to other sources but it would cost. Theres a point along that continuum that even liberals have to agree with. If the Arab world dominoes were all to fall then the jihad of jihads would have all of us on the same side, as if Earth were invaded by some malevolent extra terrestrial borgs.

#17     Feb 3, 2011
  8. Ricter

Ricter

And liberals do agree, which is why our foreign policy is so consistent from president to president.

#18     Feb 3, 2011

9. I agree to the same extent that Hannity was an asshole but he had him on killing their own for fanatical premises. Can't believe I"m agreeing with Hannity.

#19     Feb 3, 2011
  10. Okay, then at what point in the deterioration of future use of the Suez canal should we invade Egypt?

#20     Feb 3, 2011