Report names the best and worst diets for 2020

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frederick Foresight, Jan 5, 2020.

1. What is sad is the number of medical intelligent professionals who keep saying things factually untrue.

1. True Keto diets do not call for no vegetables. In fact many scientific/medical based Keto diets call for 40-50 NET CARBS max. Net carbs means Carbs minus Fiber. Keto diets encourage fiberous vegatables to be eaten and if standard daily recommendation is 20-25g of Fiber a day, numerous keto friendly veggies meet that goal quite easily. You can even have carb veggies as long as you meet your daily net goal

1 Cup of Broccoli 5 grams of Fiber
    1 Cup of Avocado 10 grams of fiber

2 Slices of Standard Whole Wheat Bread 4 grams of Fiber.

2. Most Whole grains have vitamins that are added as they are fortified. there is NOT ONE Vitamin or Mineral that Whole Grains have a monopoly on and can only be found there. Vitamins and MInerals can come from various vegetables and some fruits allowed on Keto Diets.

3. Polyphenols are found in Olive Oil, Nuts, vegetables, Dark Chocolate and flaxseed.

So a good Keto diet gets plenty of Vitamins, Polyphenols and Fiber

#41     Jan 19, 2020
  2. The article does not suggest otherwise.

#42     Jan 19, 2020
  3. Sorry but this is incorrect. I doubt Mechanick has ever studied the science of Keto diets and just perused shit he saw online.

First of all, the point is for the body to break down fat and for overweight people that is the goal. For just right people the fat in their diet is the source of energy.

Keto is not about starvation, intermittent fasting more likely is. A good Keto diet leaves one satieted, full and with the right amount of protein to avoid breakdown of lean body mass.

The body can breakdown fat alone and the few carbs eaten to provide all the energy source needed and there is no need for the body to break down tissue and muscle.

Mechanick is entitled to his OPINION on the Keto Diet as is everyone.

But he is not entitled to his OWN FACTS.

When these guys say something that is factually incorrect, it clouds their bias and judgement to make a correct statement.

Be more skeptical of "experts" who cite wrong facts.

#43     Jan 19, 2020

4. It implies that you become devoid of vitamins and fiber which you must get from whole grains and vegetables and fruit with the implication that Keto eliminates them.

How could you be without vitamins, fiber and polyphenols as the "expert" claims when Keto Diets are filled with plenty of those things.

#44     Jan 19, 2020
  5. I think you’re referring to breads and such. I don’t think whole grains like, say, brown rice or oats, have nutrients added. Unless you buy a packaged (processed) version.

#45     Jan 19, 2020
  6. My reading of it is that it unnecessarily restricts healthful choices.

#46     Jan 19, 2020

7. It is a restrictive diet for many to be sure. Some people can switch to it fully and stay that way and I think that is a small minority. Many start with Keto and then phase back in certain foods when they are in a target range and then adjust. Some it changes their tastes a bit and they walk away from some foods.

For people who do it and then get off and then put back all the weight, I think those people would fail at whichever lifestyle change they chose because they are simply going back to bad habits over and over again. That pattern is bigger than the diet and based on something else.

May people can make small adjustments to their current eating but there are also people in dangerous obese levels that need more drastic changes to reverse the process.

In the end it starts and ends with the person no matter what they choose. One man's restrictive is another man's not a problem I guess.

I don't push or force recommend any specific lifestyle but based on research I do want to correct incorrect facts and misunderstandings that are often put out about Keto. When Keto moved into fad status the misinformation and wannabee experts multiplied and now when you mention Keto the amount of wrong info is just staggering. All of the information I reviewed on Keto was strictly from medical and scientific research journals and pouring through physiological based info, not from nutritionists or general practice doctors.

The amazing part is the research that showed Keto successfully reducing frequency of seizures and treating epilepsy which shows how scary sugar can be to our bodies. They are now calling Alzhaimers/Parkinsons a Type III Diabetes. Basically without boring you with the science, the brain cells begin to fail in their ability to process glucose for fuel just like in other cells in the body with respect to Type II and these cells start to degenerate and die. When brain cells die...well that is why they are linking it to many forms of Alzheimer's and Parkinsons (apart from normal aging and decay of brain fucntions). However the cells ability to process ketones for energy is not affected so Keto treatments have slowed down significantly the affects. Cannot cure them because the damage has been done by that point sadly.

Also given the cancer cell's main fuel source of glucose to reproduce at such alarming and fast rates, Keto diets have been used successfully as adjunct treatments to shrink tumors and slow cancer metastisis.

Keto highlights many flaws in our current diet system relying on sugars and processed carbs and the effects they have on causing metabolic issues as well as several diseases.

#47     Jan 20, 2020
  8. I think it's possibly that you may be over-interpreting its applicability to the general population.

Except that a lot of the "wannabe experts" decrying the keto diet are actually...experts.

Sure, but no serious dietary regimen promotes sugar and processed carbs. In fact, they discourage it.

But I agree with a number of your other points.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    #48     Jan 20, 2020
  9. Not when they state incorrect facts, having a nutrition certificate or medical degree does not make you an expert unless you specifically did the research into this area. Most doctors I see quoted are GPs with basic nutrition and lack of understanding of the Keto science. One can be a general expert in a field but not a specific expert in the subject matter.

Case in point, asking a trial lawyer for their input on commercial contract clauses.

#49     Jan 20, 2020
  10. There is no interpretation of applicability to the general population. The science that Keto diets have had positive affects on alzheimer's/parkinson symptoms, the fact that they are calling them Type III Diabetes and the science showing the Keto diet on growth rate on tumors was presented as evidence of the ills caused by the large consumption of sugars and processed carbs in our diets.

#50     Jan 20, 2020