Report: Mike Pence Offered to Replace Trump on GOP Ticket

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Spike Trader, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Report: Mike Pence Offered to Replace Trump on GOP Ticket After the Access Hollywood Tape

Mike Pence “made it clear” to the Republican National Committee that he was willing to take Trump’s place as the GOP candidate for president in the aftermath of the Access Hollywood tape in October 2016.

The story comes from a profile of Mike Pence by McKay Coppins, a staff writer at The Atlantic, in which Coppins tracks Pence’s political rise and religious transformation and grapples with Pence’s and the religious right’s embrace of Donald Trump. He depicted a Trump campaign at a time when it was worried not only because of the political chaos and the countless calls for Trump to step down, but also because “Mike Pence suddenly seemed at risk of going rogue.”

Trump’s phone calls to his running mate reportedly went unreturned, and anonymous quotes began appearing in news stories describing Pence as “beside himself” over the revelation. … It’s been reported that Pence sent Trump a letter saying he needed time to decide whether he could stay with the campaign. But in fact, according to several Republicans familiar with the situation, he wasn’t just thinking about dropping out—he was contemplating a coup.

According to the article, as many in the GOP were scheming to force or buy Trump out, they were talking about a Mike Pence-Condoleezza Rice ticket. Coppins describes a meeting in which Trump asked Reince Priebus his opinion about the damage the tape had done to his candidacy. Priebus reportedly told Trump he should drop out.

According to someone who was present, Priebus added that Pence and Rice were “ready to step in.” (An aide to the vice president denied that Pence sent Trump a letter and that he ever talked with the RNC about becoming the nominee. Priebus did not respond to requests for comment.)

Pence’s career as it is presented in the piece compels readers to try to pick apart the relationship between the vice president’s religiosity and ambition—Coppins at the end calls the latter “radioactive”—but The Atlantic article contends that Pence’s brief contemplation of rebellion was not purely political.

He was genuinely shocked by the Access Hollywood tape. In the short time they’d known each other, Trump had made an effort to convince Pence that—beneath all the made-for-TV bluster and bravado—he was a good-hearted man with faith in God. On the night of the vice-presidential debate, for example, Trump had left a voicemail letting Pence know that he’d just said a prayer for him. The couple was appalled by the video, however. Karen in particular was “disgusted,” says a former campaign aide. “She finds him reprehensible—just totally vile.”

Last summer, as Coppins noted, the New York Times reported Pence appeared to be preparing for a 2020 presidential bid, and while Pence has vehemently denied the story, Coppins imagines the real possibility of the GOP turning on Trump after another major scandal, and Pence’s subsequent rise. In this scenario, Coppins warned, the United States could end up with a truly evangelical president. “What critics should worry about is not that Pence believes in God,” he wrote, “but that he seems so certain God believes in him.”

2. sss12

sss12

This will happen in 2020, when Trump decides to go back to the private sector.

After 4 yrs of chasing Trump in a circle the Dems will realize that their party still hasn't figured out what happened in '16 , and will be dusting off Joe B or showing Elizabeth W where the Mason-Dixon Line is.

The GOP will be off to the races with the Koch bros backed Pence at the helm.
    Not sure if I love this scenario but it is my call.

Tsing Tao likes this.
  3. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

If true, so what?

4. Nothing . . . other than being the party of pedos , the GOP is also full of backstabbers and cut-throats.

5. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

The world is full of these three types. I see no reason for this info to matter whatsoballsout.

6. I am shocked!!

Next thing you know, we will find out that there were a dozen dem people thinking that they could no longer support Hillary and a few that were even actually making it known that they were available to replace her on the ticket.

Shocked!!!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Tom B and CaptainObvious like this.
  7. I don't doubt this, as it indicates just how brain dead and clueless the republican establishment is. Pence is no doubt a good man but very weak. He folded like a cheap lawn chair when the gays came after him. Rice is a washed up Bush neo con who presided over a series of disasters. Seriously, these people learn nothing. They think they can continue to fool us with the same old shell game.

8. UsualName

UsualName

I remember our right wing friends losing their mind when Susan Rice went on the Sunday shows saying the Benghazi attack wasn’t a terrorist attack. They called for her to resign.

Fast forward to 2017 and Pence goes on every single Sunday talk show and says Flynn had no improper contact with the Russians. Flynn then pleads guilty about lying about not having contact with the Russians. But, no right wingers calling for Pence to resign? That’s interesting.

We’re going to find out what is what when he is interviewed by Mueller.

9. Might have something to do with the fact that Pence went over to Trump and said "that lying fuck Flynn is nothing but trouble we need to Shiite-can him immediately." And then he was gone.

Whereas Susan Rice lied through her arse and Obama immediately said: " I believe that I see my next Secretary of State here. That bitch can lie as well as Hillary."

See if you can spot the difference.

Tom B likes this.
  10. fhl

fhl

Flynn did not have any improper contact with the Russians. Mueller did not find him to have had any improper contact with the Russians. Mueller did not threaten to indict Flynn over any improper contacts with the Russians.

Everything you said is bullshit.

#10     Dec 6, 2017
    AAAintheBeltway and Tom B like this.