Report: Markets 'Are Like 1987 Crash'

Discussion in 'Trading' started by capmac, May 21, 2006.

1. Don't confuse clarity with certitude. My post's premise advocated anything but certainty.

#11     May 21, 2006
  2. certitude?

#12     May 21, 2006
  3. #14     May 21, 2006
  4. I have no idea what I am talking about, but recent exuberant price action could support a market crash repeat...just based on what we know. (I found myself thinking on this more so than ever and if it were to happen by the textbook we are very very near...were near an election too)

But past performance is not indicative of the future.

#15     May 21, 2006
  5. #16     May 21, 2006
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

Sure it does. History always repeat itself and pretty much the same way, because human behavour doesn't change.

Go and read about the recent Saudi stockmarket bubble and its burst. The exact copy of the tech bubble in the US....

#17     May 21, 2006
  7. mizer

mizer

Last week's market sell off was mainly profit taking from an over heated sector. All commodity related stocks show the same pattern

This sector might see a little more gradual profit taking and then consolidate until the market gets some more data about the real global supply and demand of these materials. This shook out alot of the recent speculators and gave smart money a chance to take some profits and scalpers like me a chance to make a few bucks so I could eat something beside Roman Noodles:D :p

#18     May 21, 2006
  8. patoo

patoo

Mr Savant,

Your posts continue to impress me. (Or at least we agree a lot of the time.).:D

While I agree the market is perhaps working on a big correction, October 1987 will never happen that way again.

The more we talk about 1987, the less chance it will happen that way.

#19     May 21, 2006
  9. mahras2

mahras2

Fully agree with this sentiment.

I actually expect the S&P to advance ~10% by December 2006. Earnings yeild adjusted for risk-free+inflation rates is still attractive. Value is also attractive (PE of the index is not in any dangerous territory nor is earnings in general slumping considerably).

#20     May 21, 2006