Replace Team Foundation Server with what?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by nitro, Feb 10, 2007.

1. nitro

nitro

Does anyone know if there are cheaper alternative to Microsoft Team Foundation Server? I just need it for source control, and I don't want to spend $2600 for 1 server license and 1 client license.

I know I can use VSS or Subversion, CVS etc, but VSS sucks, and AFAIK Subversion CVS etc don't integrate seamlessly with Visual Studio.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

nitro

2. nitro

nitro

After much searching, I finally found this:

http://www.pushok.com/soft_svn.php

First I installed the Open Source Subversion SC on my linux server. Then I installed pushok under all my MSVS 2005 development machines.

It works from the VS2005 GUI through http (configurable, you can use any client you want. I installed svn support into Apache), and it feels like Team Foundation Server Source Control. For example, it displays checkmarks next to checked out files, and little lock icons nex to checked in files (click on the link above for screenshots). Checking in is as easy as right click...It has a built in diff/merge editor, etc. And it is free or very close to it!!

Pretty nifty...I am going to shell out $100 for a five user license...

nitro

3. cmaxb

cmaxb

Well Perforce integrates with IDE and Explorer. Also comes with gui for management.

4. nitro

nitro

Perforce is a good system, but I believe that to use it from more than one computer at the same time, it is pretty expensive, although (I think) not as expensive as TFS. Also, I don't remember how well it intergrates with VS2005 IDE...

I am still trying out this solution (pushok's soft_svn with Subversion) to see how well it works.

Microsoft should come out with a version of TFS for 1 to 5 developers for $500. Better yet, just like SQL Server 2005 Enterprise is free for developer use, just include TFS as part of the Standard VS2005 package and allow say 3 clients. $2600 for a server with a 1 client license is absurd.

nitro

5. cmaxb

cmaxb

Hmm...soft_svn looks promising. Istill don't like those little .svn folders.

6. nitro

nitro

Jia.

For $25 for a license, I can live with .svn folders...

nitro

7. If you are looking for source control, why not use Eclipse. It's free:

www.Eclipse.org

8. nitro

nitro