Repeal Of 60/40 Tax Treatment!!!

Discussion in 'Trading' started by nqtrader, May 20, 2003.

1. I am a new futures trader. Next year will be my first time doing trader taxes. Can someone quantify in a nutshell how significantly the 60/40 rule affects after tax profits?

I understand that it has to do with when you deduct losses, and thus would also be a function of how much your losses are in comparison to profits. Otherwise, it would be very helpful to know just how big a deal this is.

Also, I will be happy to do my part to resist this change. I think drafting a compelling form letter is an excellent idea.

#11     May 20, 2003
  2. TGregg

TGregg

I cannot get any text on this Grassley amendent 680 to S. 1054. It was approved unanimously by the senate, however.

I'm gonna email my senator.

#12     May 20, 2003
  3. Tea

Tea

could make CME stock a short

#13     May 20, 2003
  4. TGregg

TGregg

I found it! Finally, sheesh. Anyway, I was wrong, and FI is correct, the S.A. 680 to S.1054 (the Senate version of that tax cut thing) does indeed strike out paragraph 3 of section 1256, which is the very paragraph that says 60/40.

Link to a whole bunch of text, including the Screw The Futures Traders text:

http://www.congress.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?r108:1:./temp/~r1081dydO3:e539363:

Dunno if it works. Search on 1256.

Bastids.

BTW: Each and every senator voted for this.

#14     May 20, 2003
  5. Quah

Quah

TGregg - Thanks for the research. Great job.

#15     May 20, 2003
  6. The way it works is you get a 1099 form from your broker which lists your net profit or loss for the year. You plug that into Form 6781, which makes a calculation that divides the profits/losses 60/40 into long term and short term cap gains, regardless of how long you held the trade. Those numbers go into a separate line on Sched D where you report cap gains. It's highly advantageous because you get the favorable longterm cap gains rate on very short term trades.

#16     May 20, 2003
  7. One problem is the Republican Senator from Illinois, Fitzgerald, is retiring and may not give a damn about this.

Maj. Leader Frist should remember the Hippocratic Oath he took as a doctor"...First, do no harm..." I wish he could explain to me WTF Republicans are doing raising taxes.

#17     May 20, 2003
  8. As I recall the Senate bill also contains a $20 billion slush fund to bail out states that can't live within their budgets. I really appreciate the chance to help out big spending states like NY and California, particularly when I have no say in how they spend my money.

#18     May 20, 2003
  9. So what's the bottom line? Are they trying to push elimination of 1256 through? Do I need to write my rep and senator? If so, this is absolutely ridiculous...they have no idea how many people they are going to affect!

If this is for real, I echo the prior suggestion of posting a form letter...I'd be happy to take a first crack and then the community can ammend it. We can then post links to house/senate email addressess.

#19     May 20, 2003
  10. AAA, thanks very much. That clarifies a lot. Can you give me a ballpark range, for instance, what percent of one's after tax profit this change will represent when all the paperwork is said and done? (assuming they trade 100% futures, and very short term).

#20     May 20, 2003