Renting a trading station/ place to brainstorm? Do they exist

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by Falcone, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Falcone

Falcone

Are there still shops where you can rent desk space and trade with other people ? I think I remember that being a thing in the early 2000's. this wouldn't be a structured job but more of a place to trade your own capital and be around other traders.

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

You should probably mention where you are located since that will dictate what options could possibly be near you.

tommcginnis likes this.
  3. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

What you're thinking of were Small Order Execution System exploiters, where data, computers, and access were all available to The Everyman, who could lean in and nibble at the fat, fat Bid-Ask spreads that existed on 99.9% of what was traded -- and then go to cash each night: the Day-Traders. The SOES Bandits.

But! It's 2018, and the technology sits on our desks (or fergawdsakes, in our phones)... The cost of the technology is not $25 or $20 but $5 or $1 or less. And the Bid-Ask spreads are not in quarters, but in pennies. :wtf:

Result? No room/need for those trading shops, excepting the ability to socialize and sharpen our thinking before submitting the trade.....

4. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Back in the day...these places were referred to as "arcades". I first heard the word used in the 1990s. Yet, its been years (since the 2008 financial fiasco) since I've seen that word used.

Today, they are primarily located in global financial communities (e.g. Chicago, New York, London, Hong Kong) although less today in comparison to the 90's. There use to be a website listing of these arcades but its no longer around.

wrbtrader

5. Falcone

Falcone

Sorry, in the NY/NJ area.

6. ZBZB

ZBZB

Google co-working in the location you are interested in. There is a hedge fund and a group of oil traders in the building I am in in London.

7. Falcone

Falcone

Thanks for the ideas guys