Renting a Supercomputer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aphexcoil, Nov 14, 2002.

1. John Q Public

John Q Public Guest

If that was directed to me, I don't understand your answer. Are you just trying to be disagreeable again?

#31     Nov 14, 2002
  2. #32     Nov 14, 2002
  3. nitro

nitro

Yes you do...It's called genetic algorithms. As long as the optimizer has some way to "unstukk" itself from a valley, this should work for most purposes.

At the end, if the parameters in the "neighborhood" are stable, then you can zone in on an area of the topological space with brute force.

This is probably one of the most important areas of CS currently.

I will be posting a picture of my 4 node cluster later...

nitro

#33     Nov 14, 2002
  4. DTK

DTK

I couldn't agree more.

#34     Nov 14, 2002
  5. TSaimoto

TSaimoto Guest

Aphie, are you in search of the holy grail?

#35     Nov 14, 2002
  6. trader99

trader99

Actually, NO! Mutual funds who managed a few hundred billions(like Vanguaard, Fidelity, Janus,etc.) don't use that much computing power. They are NOT quants. They use traditional fundamental analysis which any simple PC with spreadsheet and some fundamental database can do.

Quant hedge funds and proprietary trading desk on the Street on the other hand are rather data and computing intensive. But since their horizons are much longer(position trading), they dont' nee dto analyze down to the last tick.

:)

trader99

#36     Nov 14, 2002
  7. Well then.... stop programming in LOGO :D

peace

axeman

#37     Nov 14, 2002
  8. miniTrdr

miniTrdr

my .0002 cents
    sounds like sneaker net distributed computing would be easier/faster - since you already have the programming done - divide your data up - probably by contract expirations - and run the program on all your PCs - log all the statistics to a central database

cluster would just add a lot of complexity- speed advantages probably would be nil if you dont know what your doing

keep it simple

besides does it take a supercomputer to figure out how fast your going to lose money :) just a joke

#38     Nov 15, 2002
  9. saxon

saxon

#39     Nov 15, 2002
  10. nitro

nitro

:eek:

What were you testing here that required a cluster! Did it make money after the 17% take and the rounding down?

When I go to the track now (harness) I use Dr. Z's method. However, even if I wait until the last few seconds of a race to wager, the "hole" is filled by 3/4 of the people at the track at the same time :mad:

Fascinating...

nitro :cool:

#40     Nov 15, 2002