Renting a Supercomputer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aphexcoil, Nov 14, 2002.

1. nitro

nitro

So this was never published?

Too bad, I would have liked to have seen it.

nitro :(

#91     Nov 16, 2002
  2. Ninja

Ninja

This is so cool!
    You definitely deserve every dollar you win with this system.

#92     Nov 16, 2002

3. The markets with greatest degree of inefficiency are 1) the most illiquid and 2) the newest markets that have just begun trading.

As is axiomatic, as markets mature and gain liquidity they tend asymptotically toward pure efficiency. Therefore the S&P and the Bonds is probably not he best place to look for an edge. If you insist on looking there you are probably going to be looking in the wrong haystack for your needle.

If I were you I would look at arb possibilities between SSF and their equity counterparts. This trade is good for maybe 1.5- 2 years before all the cream is skimmed. In this day and age marketable inefficiencies usually don't last for long. But make no mistake, they are there you just have to look in the right place. And you have to be quick on the scene.

Dr. Zhivodka

#93     Nov 16, 2002
  4. P. Niss

P. Niss

The only teraflop is your trading journal :D

#94     Nov 16, 2002
  5. Ninja

Ninja

I just surfed the web and found an article I would like to share with people interested in Java programming and parallel computing. It gives you the possibility to build your own cluster and you even don't need to switch to Linux, because you can run the system on every OS where Java can run on.
    The author shows how to use pseudo remote threads to distribute tasks to different machines. This article even contains sample code!

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-super.html

Also a good starting point to build you own cluster (not Java specific) could be the SCL cluster cookbook:
    http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/Projects/ClusterCookbook/index.html

#95     Nov 16, 2002
  6. tampa

tampa

THE CRASH OF 2002?

Computer Scientists from around the globe are meeting in emergency session tonight in Paris to find a way to stop the Boy Wonder aphexcoil from getting access to a Super Computer.

aphexcoil, the developer of “Jasper”, an API designed to work with Interactive Broker’s TWS order platform, is thought to have caused some nine system wide outages on the Globex Exchange, and a two day power outage in the city of Baltimore.

The Boy Wonder has compiled tick data going back to the year 1622, and needs to rent time (Perhaps 19 to 20 months.) on a Super Computer in order to test his latest trading theories. Prof. Richard Rundy of The University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School, told The Daily Skirt that the world’s computer experts fear that if aphexcoil gets within ten feet of any Super Computer, the entire planet’s network could crash.

#96     Nov 16, 2002
  7. Give the kid a break; he might be on to something.

Whether he knows what to do with it remains to be seen ...

#97     Nov 16, 2002
  8. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

For the first part the answer is yes: Without going into all the details the idea is this: If you have a single processor and perform a computation and then attempt to distribute the computation across n identical processors the limiting factors will be things like memory contention and I/O and communication bottlenecks (relative to the speed of the processors in working the problem). Usually the most important factor to the whole problem is whether the actual computation actually can be paralellized, that is broken up in a way that allows the distribution of problem is a uniform way across the processors. Some problems are inherently serial: that is they must be done sequentially. Others can be broken up into (hopefully) equal units and distributed. the speedups commonly run not as n times faster but something like n/Ln(n) which reflects the reduction from a linear speedup due to these issues. The speedup depends upon the suitability of the problem for distributed solution and your skill in building the algorithms ...

For the second part it sounds like you want to write a tradefeed / ticker processing system. This can be done without too much difficulty. Yes, here speed of analysis will be an issue but a lot can be done with a few multiprocessor intel boxes coupled with a fast I/o bus ......

#98     Dec 4, 2002