Removing the golden handcuffs

Discussion in 'App Development' started by fan27, Jul 2, 2018.

1. fan27

fan27

Thanks for finding the typo! If you are interested in writing code, Google each phrase you don't understand. If you are interested, it is all within your reach.

#181     May 9, 2019
  2. ironchef

ironchef

In layperson's language, please tell me how do I use the software?

Thanks.

#182     May 9, 2019
  3. fan27

fan27

Well, to use what the software ships with out-of-box, in layperson's language, you would double click on a .bat file and it will run the software for you with the end result being strategy portfolios you can run in AlgoTerminal. Of course I would not recommend running live with any of those portfolios as they are just a starting point. Watch the video on the home page and on the video tutorials page for more info.

#183     May 10, 2019
  4. ironchef

ironchef

Let me be more specific:

Suppose I want to find the best butterfly setup, I download from my broker's website, all the past six months' historical option data, and today's option chains, I want to compute various combinations of butterflies, compare the results, then output the selected butterfly to my broker automatically for execution?

#184     May 10, 2019
  5. fan27

fan27

My product cannot help you with that without significant updates to the product to support options data. Sorry.

#185     May 10, 2019
  6. Learn some Python. You can do this in a couple of days if you already know what you want to do.

#186     May 10, 2019
  7. ironchef

ironchef

A couple of days? You are kidding me.

It will take me one semester to finish Introduction to Python Programming (just completed VBA this semester), a few months to practice coding in Python... :banghead:

#187     May 11, 2019
  8. Sure, I meant the project :)

#188     May 11, 2019
  9. fan27

fan27

Just a quick update. I am wrapping up a couple of AlgoTerminal dev contracts and am then going to release some enhancements to FasterQuant. For marketing I am going to start by open sourcing a custom logger (nothing that complicated) used in my live trading which writes structured events which get uploaded to AWS CloudWatch and then I have specific events going to specific channels in my Slack account. This allows me to easily monitor everything happening with my live trading from the Slack app on my phone. Also, this integration can be done outside of AWS which I will detail. I am going to create a blog post detailing how to set this all up. The idea is to offer something of value for free with the result being traffic to my site.

#189     Jun 28, 2019
  10. fan27

fan27

I am currently in talks with two different hedge funds. One is a startup and another is a billion + AUM fund. The large fund has a program where they reach out to independent traders and see what they are up to trading wise and potentially enter into some sort of collaboration. The startup fund would involve me trading X amount of capital where I get a percentage of the profits. I have taken out a small loan to help keep me afloat until the end of the year so I do not have to dip into my trading capital. I am still working with several AlgoTerminal customers for dev work but am not going to spend any time on marketing FasterQuant and instead am going to focus on research and improving my current strategy mix. Also, both these opportunities appeared via LinkedIn.

#190     Aug 21, 2019